• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

bushido_man96 & tallgeese on Being a Moderator and a LEO

Patrick

Hey all,

As you may know, bushido_man96 (Brian) and tallgeese (Alex) are both longtime moderators and contributors here at KarateForums.com. They are also law enforcement officers.

When I invited them to join our team, I didn't realize what their line of work was. They were judged based upon their contributions here. When I did find out what their day job was, I can't say I wasn't intrigued by the connection. Recently, I hosted a conversation with them to explore how the two roles relate.

It went so long (over 7,500 words) that I'm publishing it in three parts over at ManagingCommunities.com. I wanted to share it here as I thought that some members might enjoy reading it.

Part one focuses on their background, the similarities between law enforcement and moderation, how to be more than just an enforcer and the proper use of the discretion - as an officer and a moderator.

http://www.managingcommunities.com/2015/03/02/law-enforcement-and-online-community-moderation-a-conversation-with-two-officersmoderators/

In part two, we discussed abuse of power and corruption.

http://www.managingcommunities.com/2015/03/12/abuse-of-power-and-corruption-how-law-enforcement-officers-and-online-community-moderators-can-avoid-them/

In part three, we talked about suicide and offline threats and how their respective roles have benefited one another: http://www.managingcommunities.com/2015/04/02/law-enforcement-advice-on-how-to-deal-with-offline-and-suicide-threads-on-your-community/

Thanks,

Patrick

Edited by Patrick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thank you, Nidan Melbourne. :) I'll be publishing part two within the next week or so, and will update this thread when I do.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

This is a well executed article. Very good!

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Just read it. I enjoyed this one too because it covers such a wide-reaching topic. Each online community everywhere deals with abuse. The introductory portion about taking a step back and disconnecting "with the job" is the key. Very well done again.

_

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!

An amazing article that bears to be read by any reader that's interested in exactly what is and what isn't on the subject you three are covering. Or for a reader who is facing that very same thing in their life or in someone else's life that their close to.

There are situations where we may be threatened, and it’s tough because the line between a meaningless threat and a serious threat can be difficult to navigate. You don’t want to waste the time of law enforcement or feel like the boy who cried wolf. In other words, if the threat is meaningless, authorities may be less likely to take you seriously next time.

In this, imho, I hope that any LEO would do what they've been sworn to do...Protect and Serve. And that means to go to every call with the professionalism required as though it's the first time to the call. It's not a waste of time to arrive to the call as soon as possible, and to not assume anything of the RP's call history. Imho, it's not the waste of time to Protect and Serve.

I would, again, like to thank you, Patrick, Brian, and Alex for taking the time to do a top notch article that is very educational, and therefore, helpful. Thank you...thank you...thank you!!

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!