• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bad left side

Iskrax

In JKD, Bruce Lee trained his students to fight in the opposite stance. If the student was right handed, he'd have them fight in a lefty stance. Reason being, the strong hand was the lead hand, so a jab would be more effective, a front leg attack would be more effective, etc.

Different perspective, but interesting nonetheless.

Early on in my TKD career, I switched my sparring stance to spar southpaw, although I'm right-handed. I did that for years, and I got pretty good sparring from that side; so much so, that switching to orthodox took some time. Now that I am in law enforcement, I switch back to orthodox more often in class and training, mainly to get into the habit of always keeping my gun side back.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm left-handed and primarily fight orthodox, I practice southpaw time to time, and will actively switch and hold my own while sparing. But oddly I feel a lot more comfortable orthodox.

I would say just keep up the practice, and use primarily what feels comfortable for the time being.

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com

• 1 month later...

ive been training for around 4 months and have been told i will test in the next grading and what i find my sensei talking about alot is muscle memory, this is the reasons why we do drills(for loss of a better word)in the dojo, and i also find that i favour one side of my body but still try to incorporate the other side. and trusting in my sensei will work hard at drills to help with the balance and power on my not so dominant side. trust your sensei he works from a very successful set of techniques

to add ...sounds mad, it feels mad, but it will give you results, big results.

When at home practice with your eyes closed!

Be careful of mums best china though!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.