• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

a weird pet peeve I have about martial arts

So one thing that's always bothered me in martial arts, is refearing to someone as "master" and or "grand master"

Now, if you've earned such ranks, I give respect where respect is due, and would call you such if you're style has such ranks but...

The word "master" to me means, having complete understanding and ability of a particular skill or art....and in marital arts, I don't believe in such things

I believe that -EVERY- marital artist, from white belt, to 9th degree black, should ALWAYS have the mindset of being a student, to always learn, to keep an open mind, to expand your horizons and to grow, and with that in mindset to me, you cannot become a "master" because you're still growing, expanding....there for it's impossible to be one....but that's just opinion....

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally for me calling someone "Master" or "Grandmaster" should only be done is if the style uses it specifically as a title.

In Karate for instance we wouldn't use those title because usually people will use the titles: Sempai/Senpai, Sensei or Hanshi.

I've met 8th and 9th Dan Black Belts that prefer either being called Sensei or just their name.

I have personally gone to schools to watch and they have used grandmaster or master instead of proper honorifics.

Although there are some Martial Arts that I know of that do use those terms because they may not use other terminology or because of native languages so it makes it hard to use such a term. I do Balintawak Arnis and they use the term Grandmaster and Master (Reference: http://www.internationalbalintawak.com)

But all people that do martial arts are still students of the art. BUT then again such terms are more titles bestowed upon people yet still doesn't stop them from learning.

I have the same pet peeve, actually. We don't use those titles in our style, which I'm happy about. My previous style did refer to the founder as "Grandmaster," but only after he passed away, which doesn't seem as bad.

I do think that people can "master" something and still be learning and refining. In that, there are people that I would describe as being masters, but I would not use "master" as a title to refer to them. For example, Taira Masaji Sensei is a master of Goju-Ryu, but I wouldn't call him "Master Taira." Nakazato Shugoro Sensei is a master of Shorin-Ryu, but I wouldn't call him "Master Nakazato."

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I don't like the term "master" used as an honorific more due to the historical connotations of slavery or subservience. I know some of the other schools around here do it (I've heard my instructor who also teaches at another local school referred to as "Master Lee" by a friend from that school), but I don't think I would feel comfortable using it myself. I mean, I guess if I try hard enough I could convince myself I'm like a Jedi padawan... But it would still feel awkward to me.

I have the same pet peeve, actually. We don't use those titles in our style, which I'm happy about. My previous style did refer to the founder as "Grandmaster," but only after he passed away, which doesn't seem as bad.

I do think that people can "master" something and still be learning and refining. In that, there are people that I would describe as being masters, but I would not use "master" as a title to refer to them. For example, Taira Masaji Sensei is a master of Goju-Ryu, but I wouldn't call him "Master Taira." Nakazato Shugoro Sensei is a master of Shorin-Ryu, but I wouldn't call him "Master Nakazato."

My CI trained under Nakazato while in Okinawa! Cool!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I don't like the term "master" used as an honorific more due to the historical connotations of slavery or subservience. I know some of the other schools around here do it (I've heard my instructor who also teaches at another local school referred to as "Master Lee" by a friend from that school), but I don't think I would feel comfortable using it myself. I mean, I guess if I try hard enough I could convince myself I'm like a Jedi padawan... But it would still feel awkward to me.

Given his rank I'm guessing it's appropriate...if he's a high enough rank in karate he would be called "Shihan" which according to Wikipedia can be interchanged with the English term "master instructor".

Guess when I was in TKD it was a way to distinguish the people who were 5th Dan or higher. Didn't really think anything else of it.

Honorary rank is another matter entirely...

I just look at it as a rank thing. I think someone can achieve mastery minus perfection. I understand that we should always continue to strive to get better, to understand more, and all that. It should be so in any activity.

The only place I really have any qualms about the issue is once outside the school setting.

Formality is more important to some, and not others. I've only one Master, and He lives on high!!

Our Hombu is only formal when it comes to the annual testing cycle as well as it's annual award ceremonies.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think this is one of those things that gets lost in translation. "Master" is about the closest we can get to "Shihan".

I just like to think of it as a parallel to Master Craftsman. Someone who has obtained a comprehensive knowledge of a skill and is now passing this on. I don't really associate "master" with the control or authority definition. It's not really got anything to do with it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I read in a book a while back that a certain branch of TKD wanted to start referring to people 4th dan and above as master. Their thinking was looking at it like a job, you have master mechanics, master plumbers, etc. They looked at it that way, it was a level of achievement more than a reference of actual knowledge or ability. One can be a master mechanic but still attend many classes in a year learning new things.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate