• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The area around my ankles seem to always ache while I train.

Shay415

Well, it could be something as simple as not stretching properly ... or incorrect technique ... landing forcibly on the heels when jumping or when running. Try to distribute your weight more evenly on your feet ..even placing a bit more weight on the ball of your feet more so than on the heel. Use a "spring-like" landing when landing a jump, bending your knees more. ...

It could be a sign of something more serious if it just started happening so keep an eye on the "pain", when it happens, and it it does continue I would have it checked out immediately.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I agree with all of your replies, however, I am starting to like the idea of using ankle weights. My ankles themselves are fine, but I am wondering if it would help you down the road. Curious...

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Actually resistance tubing works better Ironberg.... I find that ankle weights a far better for targeting hamstrings, knees , inner thighs and calves ... but these resistance tubing exercises can rehabilitate an ankle that is recovering from an injury or to increase the overall strength in your ankles.

Sit on a firm chair or stand up. Loop one end of the tubing around the ball of the foot. Hold the other end of the tubing in your hand. Put your heel on the floor. Stretch the tubing by pushing down with your foot, the way you push on the gas pedal of a car. Switch feet.

Sit on a firm chair or stand up. Loop one end of the tubing around the leg of a sturdy table. Loop the other end of the tubing around your foot. Stretch the tubing by pulling up with your foot (lifting up your foot), using your ankle, as if you were trying to pull the table toward you. (This motion is the opposite of trying to "step on the gas.") Switch feet.

Sit on a firm chair or stand up. Loop one end of the tubing around the leg of a sturdy table. Loop the other end of the tubing around your foot. Stretch the tubing by moving your foot out to the side, away from the leg of the table. (switch legs)

Sit on a firm chair or stand up. Loop one end of the tube around the leg of a sturdy table. Loop the other end of the tubing around one foot. Stretch the tubing by moving your foot to the middle, toward your other ankle. (switch legs)

• 7 months later...

I have been doing TaeKwonDoe for two months now, and love it by the way. I do have an ankle problem similar to the one originally listed. I got mine, though, from round house kicks on the bags. I guess its just a hyperextension. No swelling, just crazy intense pain whenever going back to the bag for round house kicks.

Now, I bought an ankle brace today, and am wondering this: how often am I supposed to wear it, and how tight should it be? It is elastic, and Im sitting noticing that it is pretty tight. Should it just be snug? Or tight, assuming that it will wear out and stretch?

THanks.