• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Perception Of Effectiveness!!

There are many techniques within any MA style, some are effective, while others are ineffective. Those techniques that are effective across the board will pass the test!! Albeit, those techniques that are ineffective across the board will remain that way no matter how much one waters it down.

I'm a firm believer that there are many styles of the MA that have genius written in their effectiveness by the founder, and in that, their techniques WORK; they're quite effective through and through. In that, the styles not at fault, but it's the practitioner who's at fault. How so? For some reason, that practitioner can't pull it off to save their soul.

Our Soke believed in the perception of effectiveness in any given technique because what's effective to one practitioner isn't always effective for another. In short, I believe he was strictly implying that each and every technique is effective until it's not! Inasmuch, ineffective techniques are no longer ineffective when they become effective...for that practitioner, and possibly, if only for that moment.

To be either, is solely dependent upon the practitioner!!

The perception of effectiveness can't be denied!! If I don't like what you're doing, but it works for you...whose perception is askew? Perception is reality to the person; therefore, it's reality to the perceiver!! However, please don't be fooled into false securities; either the technique works or it doesn't. Examine it and test it and research it and take it apart and put it back together to see if there's true mettle in it.

Your thoughts, please!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In my old JKD class the instructor would sometimes show things that didn't work for him because they did work for other people and he wanted the knowledge to be available for those who could use it.

I remember one example he learned from a Silat guy where you lift the hook punch over your head and it sets up a great follow-up. He said he always gets hit when he tries it but he knows people who can do it so he passed it along.

''dependent upon the practitioner!! ''

In the beginning and end there you are, always with yourself, Anything you do comes back to you,Looking for the truth and answers they all trace back to you,you and i are centers everything else is outside so to speak. In all searching and meditations, training to burn out 100s of times, and experiences the thing i found was myself path after path so whatever i believe at the present moment is the my truth weather true or false good or bad until something comes along and changes perception. Maybe slight off topic but very much applicable. :bowofrespect:

Inca Warriors - Warriors of the Inca people were brainwashed for many years to forget fear completely until they became fearless to everything and then they were officially a warrior.

Excellent post!

I find myself thinking of this quite often.

Actually, when I come across a technique that I feel is ineffective, I will ask my sensei about it, and he will generally explain how it can be effective rather than why it is. Because, no technique is JUST effective... It's HOW it CAN BE effective.

In kata, there is no single way the techniques executed can be applied.

I love this example. Outside forearm block. Ask anybody who has trained a week in karate what it is, they will tell you it's a block.

Sadly, there are many advanced students who will also tell you the same.

In reality, yes it is a block, but it can also be an arm bar, a backfist, a hammerfist, or any X number of techniques, so long as you find how it can be effective when and where.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Love this topic!

I feel that everything, can be effective, it's just learning the how, when, and why to use it. some techniques aren't as cut as others.

Some trial and error itself, beyond just being taught it to grasp some techniques.

You have the right mindset, ALWAYS keep an open mind. As my coach would say "try to understand the method behind the madness"

Per Aspera Ad Astra

New styles have birthed the perception of effectiveness. Without the advent of it, how else is the new effectiveness to be understood outside of the founder!?!?

When one looks at the origin of the MA, and how it came from one place to another, and so on and so forth, one see's, for example, how a simple reverse punch has been changed from style to style.

Shindokan is not, and will never be the end-all, and neither is yours, but it'll be just another stepping stone to understanding a different way to execute it.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Effectiveness is found in the application. Like mentioned above...is it a block, or a back fist, or an arm bar????...I've had options in Hapkido or Aikido that haven't worked well for me, where others have worked them better for them. Train and adjust, train and adjust, is the key.

Effectiveness is found in the application. Like mentioned above...is it a block, or a back fist, or an arm bar????...I've had options in Hapkido or Aikido that haven't worked well for me, where others have worked them better for them. Train and adjust, train and adjust, is the key.

There is also the matter of "Kuden" or oral/hidden teachings.

Many traditional martial arts have these and they turn perception into reality.

Often, these are just tweaks and are only taught when the sensei is satisfied that the student has put in the ground work -and that can be after years of training.

There also needs to be a huge degree of trust as Kuden teachings can turn a mediocre technique into a deadly one.

Then there is the fact of life that some techniques just aren't for you. But it's important to train them anyway - particularly if you are called upon transmit your tradition.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!