• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Planning to joined my Karate Swat team

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I joined one at my last dojo, and I enjoyed it, but there is no standard for what a martial arts "SWAT" is. At my old dojo, it was an extra class every month with a special theme that the team voted on, so we could work on extra material that was different from the regular curriculum. Other schools may do something completely different.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Many SWAT teams are formed to either do Kata and/or Kumite competitions, mostly in open tournaments. When Soke was alive, we had NO SWAT or anything like it; that type was quite offensive to him. And of course, Dai-Soke was the same.

So, I've never tried to create those types, like SWAT, in my dojo because of how I was raised in our Hombu. I'm neither for or against them!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I use the term SWAT to identify students who are interested in learning to instruct. They assist with lower level classes a few times a week by being role models, demonstrators, uke's, pad holders, etc. This gives them some leadership opportunities and gives them a base to make the leap to Coaching when they are ready & qualified.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

If you are wondering what it is, check with your head instructor. It may be something you are interested in, or it may not. Check into it, and see what it is. Please let us know what it consists of.