• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Yes, it's an old thread, but I had to...

My dojo doesn't have a slogan anywhere, just some Japanese calligraphy by our kaicho - Tadashi Nakamura. Pretty cool stuff that escapes me at the moment. But a college I worked at had the best slogan in the athletic dept weight room -

"There's no substitute for hard work"

The strength & conditioning coach put that up during the height of the baseball steroid scandal. Regardless of that stuff, it's a great slogan for pretty much everything in life.

I have never been at a dojo with a slogan but our university Iaido club t-shirts bore the legend "when we wave our weapons around we always get a whistle", usually repeated in a Kenneth Williams "ooh! Matron!" style. Subsequent shirts had different slogans such as "Noto - thumbs in peril" or "O-Chiburi - when there's just too much blood to wipe".

No slogan at our dojo either. There are some phrases that we hear from Seishi, "Breathe" is one that is heard often during class.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Where I train, we abide by dojo kun.

We put a strong emphasis on "endeavor" which is printed on almost all our dojo apparel.

I'd say that is our slogan. Endeavor is a word which can be applied to all aspects of life, just as karate can. In fact the entire dojo kun can be applied to everyday life, it just depends on how we choose to bare it.

We also train out of a church sanctuary where they print a different passage from the bible on a blackboard every month.

I am not a religious person by any stand, but I do appreciate religion of all kinds. I have always respected diversity, however diversity is a curious marvel which I may not have developed SUCH an appreciation for without the guidance of karate.

Every aspect of the dojo kun is in fact exemplary of the term endeavor.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi