• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Running?

mazzybear

Hey guys,

So I've finally bitten the bullet and started running. Since I've never been much of a runner, I decided to use the couch to 5k app for iPhone to gently work my way up to 5k. My instructor has encouraged me to do this for a while because it "has endless benefits" for my Karate, so in the end anything that benefits should be on my workout regime. So I'll get to the point, once I can run the 5k I'm planning on doing it twice a week, is this enough/too much? How many of you run and how much/often do you do it? And what are the benefits, aside from the obvious stamina/endurance improvement?

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good luck, and congrats! Running, especially when first starting, is hard. I run about 3 days each week, and really enjoy trail running. So no, assuming you don't have any injuries, twice a week will be fine. I think the physical benefits are fairly obvious, but the biggest benefit is accessibility. Have shoes (or go "Born to Run - barefoot)? Have a way outside? 30 minutes later you've gotten a good workout in. But we could get into the new blood vessels, increased mitochondria, and sweating efficiency too, if you want...More seriously, remember to look around and enjoy it, running's not supposed to be punishment.

Can I offer some advice? Please, don't run on the road until you are already at a reasonable weight for your frame. The damage to your joints can be disabling. The best running media is sand;

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Good luck, and congrats! Running, especially when first starting, is hard. I run about 3 days each week, and really enjoy trail running. So no, assuming you don't have any injuries, twice a week will be fine. I think the physical benefits are fairly obvious, but the biggest benefit is accessibility. Have shoes (or go "Born to Run - barefoot)? Have a way outside? 30 minutes later you've gotten a good workout in. But we could get into the new blood vessels, increased mitochondria, and sweating efficiency too, if you want...More seriously, remember to look around and enjoy it, running's not supposed to be punishment.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, I'm lucky enough to stay in quite a scenic county, so there are plenty of trails to choose from, and one right on my doorstep so I'll definitely give trail running a good go, although I'll need to get some cold running gear, Scotland isn't the warmest at this time of year. :lol:

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

Can I offer some advice? Please, don't run on the road until you are already at a reasonable weight for your frame. The damage to your joints can be disabling. The best running media is sand;

All advice is welcomed, I'm a complete novice when it comes to running. But I'm bang in the middle of the recommended weight for my age/height, so hopefully that sets me in good stead. I'll also be sure to give the sand a go too, we have a few lovely sandy beaches within short driving distance to choose from. My friend has asked to come along so he can get back in shape, so it'll be nice to have a buddy, although I'll be going whether he comes along or not. :D

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

I started up a few years ago (in my late 40s). Overdid it the first season and was out with a stress fracture. Came back this past year and built up to a Half Marathon and a few 10Ks but I'm taking the opportunity to give my knees a rest over the winter. My Sempai has added a fitness workout to the class schedule which also helps to balance the lack of running. I do plan to get going on a running routine again once the weather gets a bit warmer.

I think to build up a cardio base for MA, all you would need or want to do is be able to run at least 30 minutes 3 to 4 times a week. If you really want to better duplicate MA types of cardio, I'd add sprint intervals into your running routine. I feel pretty good about my base cardio, but I still get challenged when I need to bump the intensity for MA workouts.

start easy and build up gradually, 20-30 mins 2 or 3 times a week is a good medium, I got up to 1 hour runs, 4 to 5 times a week and did a 10K and 2 half marathons but slowed down due to knee pain.

Running on hard surfaces means you need a GOOD pair of trainers (sneakers in US?), it's worth going to a proper running shop and spending around £80 and get a pair with the correct camber - some people run unevenly so the heels are angled to compensate.

I never had a blister and it felt like running on air, I only got into knee pain when they were "used" and probably should have replaced them....

Running tops are good as they breath, also get some thermals for Scotland... :P

I now include 2-3k in my gym sessions purely to get the heart going.

Its a great thing to do as long as you take it easy.

Lesson i learnt the hard way is if something hurts - stop!

Possibly a worst case scenario but I ran a 5 mile Kamakzie forest adventure run. I felt my ankle aching due to the uneven surface and carried on. A day later i couldn't stand on tip toes and it took me a month to strengthen the ankle muscles in my right foot again :bawling: so if your out in the woods/forest be aware of your ankles/knees!!

That said running is great cardio and stamina training. In my school we have a requirement to pass a running test at 1st and 2nd Dan which makes sure all black-belts are at a certain level of fitness...which i think is a sound idea.

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

Its a great thing to do as long as you take it easy.

Lesson i learnt the hard way is if something hurts - stop!

Possibly a worst case scenario but I ran a 5 mile Kamakzie forest adventure run. I felt my ankle aching due to the uneven surface and carried on. A day later i couldn't stand on tip toes and it took me a month to strengthen the ankle muscles in my right foot again :bawling: so if your out in the woods/forest be aware of your ankles/knees!!

That said running is great cardio and stamina training. In my school we have a requirement to pass a running test at 1st and 2nd Dan which makes sure all black-belts are at a certain level of fitness...which i think is a sound idea.

That's actually a really good idea, I've seen way too many so called karateka that are way out of shape, as you say this would prove they at least have a decent level of fitness.

As to the trail running, I plan to build my running ability a bit more before starting the trails anyway, as Harkon suggested I'll probably build up by running on sand to start with.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

I'm surprised to see a running test as part of the grading, it suggests that your normal training is too easy. I trained with a 1st Kyu that would be bent over trying to catch their breath after 20-30 minutes hard training, I would have made them stay a 1st Kyu until this improved.