• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Teaching the Spiritual Side of MA

Do you teach the spiritual side of Martial Arts? and How do you teach your students the spiritual side?

I ask because i have had many students ask me about it and i wasn't too sure about it.

I told them that Martial Arts transcends all religions, nationalities and everything that this world is. We are all one family, friends, brothers, sisters. Martial Arts is a journey not just physical but a spiritual one where we find peace and harmony in ourselves. It is one of the highest skills to gain within every persons journey and is the most difficult to master.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I teach that there can be a spiritual side to MA. I believe that there is but I understand that that part is not going to be there for some and it never will be. I don't worry about it because when it comes down to it there doesn't need to be a spiritual side to MA for a person to be a martial artist.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Effort, commitment, endeavour, sacrifice, self development. All these can happen without spirituality. Martial arts have been formed all over the world by so many diverse cultures for millennia. Spiritual awareness is not a mandatory state for their practice. But, it does happen. Many martial traditions were born from spiritual practice. Many, arguably most religions were spread at the point of a sword. But when you face your only true opponent, yourself; the battle between your many archetypes and values can form strong spiritual beliefs. The stereotypical mystical ninja or warrior monk, the devoted knight in armour or the dancing native American brave or the leopard skinned Zulu Impi, the proud Viking beserker to the wylie old fronteersman no longer exist - but the values they held dear most certainly do; even though our modern rendition of them might not be as authentic as we claim. Does the spiritual path of the Jedi or the Klingon have less validity? We know as much about them as those who shout at us from history. Do I dream of a Celtic elfin like warrior aspect with the skill of ancient shadows and mystic lore? Hell yes, why not? In fact, if that path leads me to better myself and my demons, what harm can it do?

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I teach that there can be a spiritual side to MA. I believe that there is but I understand that that part is not going to be there for some and it never will be. I don't worry about it because when it comes down to it there doesn't need to be a spiritual side to MA for a person to be a martial artist.

I disagree because you would be unbalanced as a whole in Martial Arts. You don't need to be religious to be spiritual. I am not very religious at all but i still have the spiritual side in me.

Because I believe that having spiritual side is still vital in becoming balanced. Like Yin & Yang. Because you can't just have a physical side.

Because for me a spiritual side doesn't involve religion, it involves finding the core that is you without all the lies and shadows that you put on yourself and self improvement.

'Like all endeavors - it's what one makes of it - what one brings to the training; Two students can be in the exact same class, with the same teachers and curriculum, and experience it differently.'

That's my reply.

Leaves fall.

Because for me a spiritual side doesn't involve religion, it involves finding the core that is you without all the lies and shadows that you put on yourself and self improvement.

That's where you and I differ I think. I don't think balance has to come from a spiritual aspect. I think that balance and finding the core of oneself can be achieved via methis that don't involve spirituality. For example, while meditation is often a spirituah practice I don't think that it has to be and one can find their calm and center through meditation without adding a spiritual aspect.

That's where you and I differ I think. I don't think balance has to come from a spiritual aspect. I think that balance and finding the core of oneself can be achieved via methis that don't involve spirituality. For example, while meditation is often a spirituah practice I don't think that it has to be and one can find their calm and center through meditation without adding a spiritual aspect.

"Spirituality is a process of personal transformation, either in accordance with traditional religious ideals, or, increasingly, oriented on subjective experience and psychological growth independently of any specific religious context. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

1. It does not have to be a religious experience.

2. Personal transformation is what helps achieve balance.

3. Through discernment a student learns when and when not to act/react. 4. Spirituality is who you are and no one can avoid the transformation that occurs as you experience life, overcome the rigors of training, etc.

5. Martial arts training can enhance that, even accelerate the process.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I don't teach a lot of the spiritual side of the MA. I think its up to each person to kind of discover this for themselves. I do try to instill the tenets of being courteous, respectful, having integrity, along with working hard, persevering, and overcoming oneself. Through these things, a student can begin to conduct his or her own spiritual journey.

"Spirituality is a process of personal transformation, either in accordance with traditional religious ideals, or, increasingly, oriented on subjective experience and psychological growth independently of any specific religious context. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

1. It does not have to be a religious experience.

2. Personal transformation is what helps achieve balance.

3. Through discernment a student learns when and when not to act/react. 4. Spirituality is who you are and no one can avoid the transformation that occurs as you experience life, overcome the rigors of training, etc.

5. Martial arts training can enhance that, even accelerate the process.

8)

Those are good points, I was attaching spirituality with religious experience instead of viewing it as something detached. So to amend my first answer, yes, I teach the spiritual side of MA.