• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Balance Problem

Using the gym ball for balance is great, but remember it's only been two and a half weeks since christmas. Developing balance, like developing strength, is a slow process. There area couple of areas to think about. One, strength, which has been addressed. But something called proprioception is basically knowing where your body is without looking. Improving both of these will improve your balance. Try just standing on one foot while you brush you teeth. You don't really have to move, and you can grab the vanity if you need. When that gets easy, try it with your eyes closed.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Good suggestions so far. It might also be related to the strength of your standing leg and control of your kicking leg. Alongside the above suggestions try some of these slow kicking drills for general strength whilst holding onto a wall or chair:

Excellent suggestion. Have only tried something similar a few times...these drills can be tough.

The way we are taught on how to do roundhouse is that you have to stand on the ball of your foot to perform the kick. If my supporting leg was rooted to the floor I wouldn't have a problem.

Do you have any video of roundhouse kicks done in your style?

I can understand being light on the heel during the pivot, but having the heel of the base foot off of the floor for the whole kick would make it hard to maintain balance and it would also prevent you from doing the kick with sufficient power.