• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A lasting sprain

Over a month ago I got hit while executing mild intensity kumite drill. The strike somehow landed directly on the last joint of my thumb where it is attached to the hand. The result was not quite immediate, but gradually increased a few minutes later.

I realized I had sprained my thumb and when I returned home an hour later it had become noticeably swollen. I took care of it the usual way sprains are treated(ice, balm,etc...) and eventually the pain and swelling went away as expected. My thumb is still not back to normal after over a month and now I am beginning to wonder if it is worse than I thought. It still feels stiff and uncomfortable when I bend it or fold it to close my hand. There is some numbness and sensitivity to pressure.

Does anyone have a similar experience with a mild injury such as a sprain taking a long time to heal?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It could be ligament damage, or in the worst case, a cartridge chip or hairline fracture. An x-ray will tell you, don't panic; some anti-inflammatories can do more harm than good, warming balms are better such as the camphor and clove ones. Good luck.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Neither at the time nor since the injury occurred did I think getting an x-Ray was necessary. The reason being that I have had more serious injuries such as hairline and micro fractures and this was not nearly as painful. Whatever is causing the lingering discomfort and sensitivity is most likely nerves as I suspect a ligament injury would be more painful and would restrict my thumbs range of movement a lot more significantly.

I have jammed and dislocated my pointer finger so many times, that it doesn't close 100% anymore! The last time I did it was in October, and I still can't bend it completely.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

A dislocated joint is much more serious than a regular sprain. I expect it would take at least a couple of months to heal under the best circumstances. I have just looked at available medical information resources online and a regular finger sprain normally takes 2-6 months depending on how much trauma was caused to the nerves, muscle and ligaments. Anyway, now I have personal experience of the consequences of not keeping my fists closed tight enough.

Are you experiencing any skin color changes of any kind? Or is the skin cold to the touch? Either can mean something quite alarming, and in that, I'd get it looked at by a doctor asap!!

Please, go see a doctor, if only for some piece of mind and a advice!! Hang in there, take care, and don't rush the healing process!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Luckily I there was none of the things you mentioned. After a little less than two days after the injury the swelling was gone. Aside from some redness until a week ago there was no other changes in the appearance of my thumb. Now it is mostly back to normal as the sensitivity is not as bad and I can bend it like before, although some stiffness remains.