• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely, the sparring work should be drilled as compliant partners and then when you know the technique it should be drilled hard, then against non compliant partner.

If you have a good partner then it should also be varied - "what happens if I'm at this angle?" etc

You can't learn unless you train this way.

I would really like to split my students up into 2 groups, those that will just go through the motions and those that drill it properly. I can only achieve this by rotating partners often.

I am a 38yr old woman who started 1.5yrs ago and I have terrible coordination and balance. I have sprained my ankle twice and hurt my knee all in the first year. SO ..... as part of therapy for my weak ankle I work on balance (strengthening my ankle). I practice combinations on a standing bag. For my roundhouse I practiced holding my deck rail for balance with a standing bag outside. Now (winter) we have a swinging bag in our finished basement and I hold a house support column when I need to.

I also do workout classes at my local YMCA for strength and balance did the "couch to 5K" program. These last two things being done with others less in shape (like me) helped me with confidence a lot. Hang in there and practice everyday, and stay physically fit. I lost 40 lbs.

May I ask what is the couch to 5k program?

Its a programme to get people from zero running up to 5 km continuous. Basically gets you to run for a bit, then walk, then run and you gradually cut down the rest time.

http://www.c25k.com/

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

You have plenty of time to work on your techniques. You don't have to grade each time the opportunity to grade comes up, either. Lay off a few gradings, and take the time to improve.

Its great that you have the judgment to see so early on whether or not you feel you should grade, too. Keep this in mind as you progress.

For you roundhouse kick, start practicing using a chair for balance. The more comfortable you get with it, the less you use the chair. Keep it near you when practicing at home so you have that safety valve, but try to do more and more without the chair each day. You will see progress. Also, check to make sure you have your body properly aligned while kicking. If you tend to bend or lean over while kicking, that will throw your balance off. Use a mirror to check yourself if you have one available.

Welcome to KF, and welcome to the Martial Arts Journey! :karate: Please keep us posted as to how your training is going.

Thank you for welcoming me to KF. I'm glad that I have found a place that I can discuss karate without annoying anyone.

I only just graded at the beginning of December. From what I've been told you have to wait 3 months to be able to grade again. But I'm lucky that I have a Sensei that will not grade unless he feels that you're ready to move on.

At the moment I'm loosing the will to practice. No matter what stretches I do or what advice I'm given by you wonderful people and my Sensei I try to do roundhouse and Pinan Needdan kata and my body says 'forget about it.'

Slow progression, take it one step at a time but never forget to enjoy every step.

If you try too hard or criticise yourself for not being able to do something then it misses the point of why you are there.

ENJOY!! :)

The body will catch up so long as the mind isn't sprinting ahead.

Thank you for welcoming me to KF. I'm glad that I have found a place that I can discuss karate without annoying anyone.

I only just graded at the beginning of December. From what I've been told you have to wait 3 months to be able to grade again. But I'm lucky that I have a Sensei that will not grade unless he feels that you're ready to move on.

At the moment I'm loosing the will to practice. No matter what stretches I do or what advice I'm given by you wonderful people and my Sensei I try to do roundhouse and Pinan Needdan kata and my body says 'forget about it.'

This is to be expected. You are a beginner, so you can't expect to learn one day, and have it down the next. It just doesn't work that way. You may need to back off your expectations of yourself just a touch so that you can get out of your own way to improve. Just relax, and keep plugging away. It will come with time. Seek the advise of your instructor as to what you can do to practice better. I'm sure he's seen this many, many times over the years as an instructor, and can probably help you through it. ;)

I had a good talk with my Sensei after class tonight. He said I shouldn't beat myself up and I am making progress with roundhouse and Pinan Needan. I'm doing better than what I thought. I think I was just worried that I should be doing a lot better than what I am.