Strength training for the Martial Artist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy does it Eye .... hey, this type of conditioning may work for both you and I but for most people it's just not what they consider strength training.

True, it is strength plus endurance training ... but might I add that you still need to add some cardio/aerobic conditioning and some light weightlifting to your workouts.

Actually, I did stop lifting and only did body weight exersizes, and I only got more endurance, but got weaker.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

hi Radok maybe it has to do with what body weight exercises you've done? if its something as simple as pushups that might be it. did u try hindu push ups/squats and things like that?

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

I have done years of weight lifting and can say that you get stronger at lifting weights but nothing else.

Years, huh ? LOL! You're only 15, ffs.

Whebn you put one of those power lifters into a combat sport or martial art these men are patheticly weak, The reasen is that they cant maintain their strengh.

How wrong you are. I wrestled with a guy who was doing power lifting, I thought he would have been at least 75kgs, I found out he was 68kgs! Godamn, he was strong too.

Also weight lifters are just as strong as people who do body weight exercises. Only differenbce is that the weight lifter has better strengh at lifting heavy objects, where as the body weighter can maintain strengh for long periods of time, and can handle his body weight like an animal from every direction and angle.

lol, what kind of weight training, you fool ? Compond exercises are the shiotnitz. Pressing 450lbs might not exactly be the type of strength you're after, I still got thrown around like a rag doll though. Not sure how he fares up against someone with technique though.

Anyone that thinks that once youy get past 50 you are only building endurance is a complete idiot

Here's something for you, I read that after you get to a certain number of pushups, you're not building strength anymore. I'm inclined to agree with this, I was stuck on 30 push ups for a long time. I would do push ups 2/3 times a week, then after 4 workouts using weights, I was able to do 70 push ups.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

When I say body weight, I'm refering to Matt Furey's book. That type of stuff. Keep your kool, Eye Of The Tiger. I realise endurance is important, (as I said) I'm just saying you need strength too, to hit really hard a few times, and that is built through heavy weights. I'm not dissin calistenics or nuthin.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Ypur missing the point again body weight exercises give you strengh. Where it be one rep. Or a 1000 reps they still build strengh. You do NOT need weights to get strong. I can tell you that weight lifters are WEAK at using their strengh at combat and martial arts as they do not posses strengh/endurance. They posses the strengh to lift heavy weights but thats it. A wqeight lifter is just as strong as a person who does body weight exercies. Remember they both give you the same strengh.

It is just that a weight lifters muscles are more suited to lifting weights and so they can lift weights better than a body weighter exercise person. But a body weight exercise person can do the following better:

1. Can maintain strengh for longer periods of time (strengh/endurance).

2. He has more explosive power like an animal since he trains like one using his own body weight.

3. Can master strengh from any position he is held in and is more flexibal.

4. Has a harder and stronger punch, grapples stronger.

A weight lifter has the following advantages over body weight exereicses.

1. Better at lifting heavy weights.

2. Usually more muscle definition (look)

3. Stronger ligaments and joints.

I personally use the chi shi which is a weight but it is certainly not weight traing nor body weight exercises but ti strenghewns the joints and ligaments used in all my karate techniques. But as you can see they both give you strengh. If you want functional muscle to be better at lifting weights do weight lifting. If you want to have functional muscle for a combat sport or martial art do body weight exercises. I personally swing the chishi which is a short stick with a peice of concrete on one end but it is still not weight lifting.

I have done years of weight lifting and can say that you get stronger at lifting weights but nothing else. When you put one of those power lifters into a combat sport or martial art these men are pathetically weak, The reason is that they cant maintain their strengh. Also weight lifters are just as strong as people who do body weight exercises. Only difference is that the weight lifter has better strengh at lifting heavy objects, where as the body weighter can maintain strengh for long periods of time, and can handle his body weight like an animal from every direction and angle.

First of all, cool it. Please do not call others idiots for having different opinions to you, thanks.

The weighter lifter has better strength at lifting heavy objects because he has developed his limit and absolute strength by using a training method solely focussing on developing these, so he can lift a far heavier weight than the Bodyweighter who has not directly attempted to increase these through specific training, but increases them at a far less-drastic rate since the movements focus a lot more on muscular endurance and flexibility than limit strength. You say yourself the bodyweighter can "maintain strength for long periods of time"

maintaining strength = ENDURANCE, one of the bigger benefits of the bodyweight style of training. A powerlifter who trains to increase absolute strength will have far greater strength, but only for a short time - the power he produces cannot be sustained for a great length of time. This is where we must look past one superior system of training and learn to incorporate both to get the benefits from each. It just happens powerlifting is directly centred about building strength, while bodyweight exercises build some strength to a limit, and then work on increasing endurance.

anyone that thinks that once youy get past 50 you are only building endurance is a complete idiot. Heres a test. Try a one arm pushups or hand stand pushup and tell me how you get on with that. You see they both give you strengh, but they also give you different types of strengh, but both are STRONG.

I remember when I did sets of 80-90 pushups and couldn't do one one-handed pushup. Lots of endurance didn't build the required strength, I'm afraid. Using progressive resistance training has allowed my strength at different types of pushups to soar. :)

Your body adapts to whatever you throw at it. Fitness is merely an adaptation to the surrounding environment. We are still cavemen to our biological systems. If a man cannot do one pushup, but practices, the body will realise it is imperative to be able to do this pushup for whatever reason, and so the adaptation occurs in STRENGTH to be able to do that pushup. The man now practices to do multiple pushups, and after he can get about 15-20, he forces himself to try to do more and more. Now, the body and the mind have already adapted to give this man the strength to do this movement, the difficulty of the movement is the same, so the body sees no need to become stronger for one pushup, so now, realising more and more pushups are needed to be done, the body will adapt by increasing the endurance in the muscles.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

80 to 90 isnt a lot. O fcourse adding weighted resistance is fine when applied to a body weight exercise but is still a body weight exercise. Indian wrestlers used to tie a ring of cement round their necks when they could do 500 reps. Same with the hindu sqauts. To do a one arm push up you halve to be able to do well over a hundred reps so that just proves that after 50 you sre still building strengh. Peopole that do a 1000 push ups a day having enourmous strengh. Look at the greta Mas oyama who had the ability to kill and man handl bulls and hedid mbody weight exercises. Same with karl gotch and Matt furey. Matt Furey can do over 2000 hindu squats without mweight and take a look at his legs at https://www.mattfurey.com and if they only build endurance after 50 reps he will have very thin legs. Whereas matts lags are gigantic so that proves that they do produce strengh.

And Jack its not a different opinion its the wrong opinion, past 50 you are still building endurance, if people can do 2000 pushups and have the strengh to beat a fully grown bull I wouldn't under estimate the power of body weight exercises.

If people think that past 50 you are only building endurance these people are complete idiots. I am not obnoxious, ht e reasen |I say this is because its true. Anyone that sais that past 50 you build endurance then they have never even had the courage to try them. I did and I have never looked back!

I did them, and I did look back, because I need to be strong for a short period of time AS WELL AS having less strength for a long period of time. That is why I do body weight exersizes and heavy weight lifting.