• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Completing my side split

lit-arate

I've done martial arts for twenty years. I began when I was six. I've stretched, and stretched, and stretched.

And I'm still several inches off the floor when I do a side-split.

I would love your suggestions for how to get through that last bump.

A bit of info that may or may not help: 6'6" (1.98m), 185lbs (84kg) (hooray for autoimmune disorders that keep me from gaining weight). I have black belts in American Kenpo and Taekwondo, and can kick well over my head. I do yoga for my stretching, and the usual sets of kicking repetitions. I do six hours of Aikido and three to four of TKD per week in-class, plus my own practicing at home. Thanks to Aikido, I have a strong and flexible core (which gave me a few more inches on my split, I think).

Help me, karateforums. You're my only hope.

PS. "But if you're 6'6" and can kick over your head, you don't need to do the splits," you say. You're right. Until we're invaded by eight-foot tall aliens whose only weakness is front-snap kick to the chin.

You are bound to become a buddha if you practice.

If water drips long enough, even rocks wear through.

It is not true thick skulls cannot be pierced;

people just imagine their minds are hard.

~ Shih-wu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I too have trained Taekwondo since I was a kid. My flexibility sucks big time. I think some people will never naturally have it...

That said I have found that a little and often as the best policy as is building up length strength in conjunction with stretching. Try the the Tricks Tutorials' guide to stretching for advice:

http://www.trickstutorials.com/content/flx3.php

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 3 weeks later...

I've been practicing splits for about 20 years. I don't know the specifics of your stretching routine, but I can give you a couple of points that worked wonders for me.

First of all, realize flexibility comes in three forms: static, dynamic, and active. Static is when you slowly stretch by bracing your body against a solid object. Doing the splits is a prime example. Dynamic is when you use momentum to carry a body part through an exagerated range of motion. Think of practicing axe kicks. Active is when you slowly move a body part through a controlled range of motion. Think of a ballet dancer holding, not swinging, his or her leg as high as he/she can. All that being said, you'll see more progress in one of them if you try to improve upon all of them. You can practice dynamic and active stretches as much as four or five times a week, but static stretches (like the splits you want to do) shouldn't be practiced more than twice a week. Otherwise, you're overtraining and holding yourself back. Also, I'd recommend giving yourself at least three days of rest a week. I do an dynamic, active, static routine all on one day, then a few days later, I'll just train dynamic and active. I'm able to practice all types of stretching each week and have plenty of time to recover.

Furthermore, especially with regards to static stretching, you'll make your biggest gains in right after you've finished a solid cardio session. I mean immediately. Don't cool down, then stretch. Use stretching as your cool down. I know when people are sweaty and exhausted, they'd prefer to recuperate, but that's when you're primed for hitting a full split. Maybe do an easy and light stretching routine before working out to prevent injury, but really push yourself afterwards.

Finally, don't stop at the shadow of your limits. Even today, when I'm practicing a split. I'll get to maybe several inches above the ground and feel like I've hit my limit, but if I hold that position for about 15 seconds, focus on my breathing, and push myself further down, I'll get a full split.

Anyways, those are the principles that have worked for me. If you feel so inclined, give them a try, then give us an update.

Your foot note was interesting; you already know the answer - why?

Flexibility is cool, yes, but I don't value standing on one leg with my most vulnerable assets in the air. Performing the splits has nothing to do with martial arts, aesthetic gymnastics maybe, but not in my dojo. But I am a traditional old mountain goat and it's just my opinion. If it's your goal, go for it, but remember tendons and ligaments age just like the rest of our body. I have a friend who is a Yoga teacher, she has amazing flexibility but she can no longer do her gardening due to strength issues around her lower back, too many Bow Poses I suppose.

Look to the far mountain and see all.