DokterVet

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just make sure there are no open windows, etc. in front of you. A passing bird, dropping leaves and so on can break you concentration when you're trying to meditate with eyes open.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Do you spend a lot of time (such as at work) in front of a computer screen? Then you could be experiencing eye strain, which could make your eyes hurt at any time. Even if you don't spend that much time in front of a monitor, perhaps there are other things that could cause eye strain...at any rate, you may want to try this.

This is a simple exercise for relieving eye strain, and also for preventing it.

Rub your palms together rapidly, creating friction and heat. Get them to a good warm temperature. Now, cupping your hands slightly, place your palms over your closed eyes, overlapping your fingers at your forehead. Hold them there for about 30 seconds, MAKING SURE YOU DO NOT APPLY ANY PRESSURE! All you're using is the heat from your hands to relax your eyes.

Try this before you meditate (or sleep) next, and hopefully it will help. If not, you may want to pay a visit to the optometrist ;)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

You can try using a point to focus your eyes upon. Many do this with a candle flame.

Yes many people prefer to meditate with their eyes open in this way. Aside from anything else, keeping the eyes open helps you to stay awake.

You can also try this if you plan on meditating before sleep. Focus on an object, anything from a spot on the wall to a blade of grass. After 5 mins. of just looking at the object, close your eyes and picture it. Try your best to focus it. This tests your mind's "eye, and how clear it is. If your eyes want to stay open, fine. Eventually they will want to close, and will do so of themselves.

Might I suggest a "meditation CD" ... I downloaded off KaZaA Andrew Weil's Guided Mediation :up: (I can email this mp3 if you'd like!)

As far as the "eye pain" ... may just be eye strain as monkeygirl suggested go see a ... doctor preferably an "ophthalmologist".

• 2 months later...
I have trouble clearing my mind, trying to meditate, and that sort of thing.

This is because whenever I try closing my eyes and not thinking actively, my eyes start to hurt. It's like they are going cross-eyed, and I have to either open them, or start thinking about things.

Is there anything I can do?

Yes, it is allways important to relax your body completely when meditating. That means every muscle.

Another possiblity is until you devlop the ability of thinking about nothing, you can try to complete the microcosmic orbit.

This is the junction of the two extra meridans: the ren mai, and the du mai.

Or what would be easier is to imagine someone pouring something sticky like syrup on hour head, and it slowly oozing down to the dan tien.

-Pa Kua Chang (Baguazhang Practioner)

of Jiang Rongqiao's Circular and Linear form.

What evil lurks in the hearts of men?

-The Shadow knows.

Relax, and chant with me:

OM MA NE PAD ME HUM

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your advice everyone. I will try all of your advice.

I am in front of a computer monitor quite a bit, so that might be it.

phanthomspectre, can you please explain your last message to me a bit? I don't know what most of those things you mentioned are.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

• 4 weeks later...
I hate when that happens, but the best thing I found was to try looking forward (with your eyes closed ofcourse) cuz if you're like me when I started I kept looking up as if trying to see through my head and it's just making my eyes roll back giving me head aches. it might seem when you look forward that you're coming out of it but if you keep at it it'll eventually click and you'll get it. Unfortunetly it can take people years just to get used to it and well trained. I recomend meditating wright before you go to bed and do it for a minnimum of 15 min. and every time you lose focus reconcentrate on your breathing. suggested music: Mozart, Orbital's "Halcyon", rain in forests, all those cool nature cd's and tapes, or absolute silence.

It's time to controll your mind and not let your mind controll you.

another tip... KICKCHICK's advice is good too it helped me out when I got started, remember there's not just one way of meditating. You can have your eyes open, closed, etc. and it all depends what works best for you so try different things.

it is but at first don't try to clear your mind of all thoughts because then your thinking about that and it strains your mind. try relaxing first and pratice practice practice. don't worry bout it you'll get it.