• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Problem with meditating

DokterVet

I have trouble clearing my mind, trying to meditate, and that sort of thing.

This is because whenever I try closing my eyes and not thinking actively, my eyes start to hurt. It's like they are going cross-eyed, and I have to either open them, or start thinking about things.

Is there anything I can do?

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I understand what you mean. Firstly, try not to not think of anything, if something does cross your mind, just let it pass. The key is not to think not to think anything lol

I find it easier to focus on something natural, that inturn helps me to forget about thinking to forget, ie, calming music, Japanese drumming is my favourite, running water or birds singing.

When closing your eyes, just let them rest as if you were sleeping, dont ram them shut, as this will cause a little pain.

Hope this helps.

Take Care.

The thing is, that happens when I try to fall asleep too. I need to think of things or my eyes start to hurt.

I think I may be doomed.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

I sorta had that problem too but like Kensai said if you have to think of something just imagine something natural like a waterfall. This should help you to relax more and help your mind to calm down. There are lots of different methods but finding the right one for one is the hardest part!! Good Luck

Let me get this right - if your eyes are closed but you are thinking, then then your eyes do not hurt, but if your eyes are clsoed and you are trying not to think, they do hurt.

I am no doctor, I cannot help yo with the eyes hurting, but perhaps if it is a direct result of trying not to think, then you are trying too hard. You shouldn't expect anything from a session of meditation. Don't force a thing. If any outside influences could disturb you, just accept them, and allow them to pass. The same with thought, accept and pass.

I could never really meditate at home for some reason, so if I ever feel the need I know a hoast of places around my town that are private and peaceful where I can sit and do it.

Regarding the eye pain though, I would suggest seeing a medical professional. :)

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

I sleep with my eyes open, so I get that pain too. It seems that if I just look upward slightly, it feels better.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

Well thanks for the advice guys..

Is there something really wrong with trying to meditate with my eyes open? Would I be unable to achieve the same effectiveness?

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

You can meditate with eyes open!

Sit like you normally would meditating, and allow yourself to have a soft downwards gaze - do not focus on what you're gazing at, focus on the act of gazing. You will notice your breath becoming rhythmic and you may want to shut your eyes after a while. This form of meditation is more effective for a 2-5 minute break and recharge than anything, but it still works nicely. :)

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com