• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lower Back Issues and BJJ and/or Aikido

Ronin_21

Which would you train in if you had a history of lower back problems?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you train in if you had a history of lower back problems?

• Karate
    • BJJ
    • Aikido
    • None
    • Any of the three would be fine

My Situation:

I am a 28 yr old male with lower back problems (had two bulging disc 3-4 years ago, currently in the best shape of my life)... I have study in both BJJ and Aikido previously (before the back issues) and I'm currently practicing Matsumura Seito Karate. I move for work annually (4 months in Yuma, AZ and 8 months Monterey, CA) and can not study Matsumura Seito Karate (AZ) year round. I have decided to study Shotokan (CA) in place of it, but I would like to cross train in one of the following: Aikido or BJJ.

Aikido: I like it but it lacks that competitive aspect that I enjoy. Breakfalls do concern me these days.

BJJ: Really, really enjoy this MA! But it does put a massive amount of pressure and stress on the body. Especially when you get egotistical a-holes that want to show their dominance on the mat over white-belts.

So I guess my question is; What would be the better choice with a person with a history of lower back problems? Any sort of advice or criticism is welcome. I have good 3 months before I head back to CA so I have plenty of time to decided.

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I trained Karate for over 20 years, with this the spine is a major power source. In Aikido, even though the hips and legs are were the power generation happens, the back is kept straight. The use of muscular strength is discouraged, it's more to do with physics. That's my vote. BJJ is leverage based, I think you would struggle with it.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I trained Karate for over 20 years, with this the spine is a major power source. In Aikido, even though the hips and legs are were the power generation happens, the back is kept straight. The use of muscular strength is discouraged, it's more to do with physics. That's my vote. BJJ is leverage based, I think you would struggle with it.

Thank you for the response. As of now I haven't experienced any pain in my back from training in karate 4 days a week. I try to remain flexible and strong in my legs, hips and back.

Harkon makes some good points, but if I were you, I'd give each a try, and see how they treat you. You might find one to work better than the other. With BJJ, you have more positional options to go with. Being on your back might cause issues, but working from mount might be ok. You might also be limited in how much actual rolling or randori you could do in either style.

I will say this: figure out what you can and can't do, and then which ever route you go with, listen to your body and adjust your training to fit what you can do. A good instructor should be able to work with in this aspect.

Harkon makes some good points, but if I were you, I'd give each a try, and see how they treat you. You might find one to work better than the other. With BJJ, you have more positional options to go with. Being on your back might cause issues, but working from mount might be ok. You might also be limited in how much actual rolling or randori you could do in either style.

I will say this: figure out what you can and can't do, and then which ever route you go with, listen to your body and adjust your training to fit what you can do. A good instructor should be able to work with in this aspect.

Solid post, and of course, check with your doctor first!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!