• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Way of the Woodsong

Tanulis

Hello all, my name is Tanulis. I have been training for 7 years in various styles including Combat Karate, Bujinkan, Stick Fighting and touching on the internal aspects of Chinese styles. After knee surgery from tearing my ACL in High School Football, I was taught the basics of martial arts movement, balance and form. After many years of training, I developed a style just for me called Way of the Woodsong. Its a both ''hard'' and ''soft'' style, with movements designed to help me bring my chi through my whole being, similar to Taijiquan or Aikido, and allow me to become one with the ALL. Ive come to learn that when studying martial arts, its not the art itself.. but the getting in tune with yourself that matters. When the flow comes naturally, you are able to feel the energy around you build up and you can harness it for your own personal empowerment or to protect those you love.

My stickfighting style is very free-form and flowing, but as for unarmed I have developed my own Empty Hand form for my meditation & exercise. I perform the kata dozens of times per day, and like to chisel new movements in as I feel it necessary. Its a 22 move form, but in time I'll update it to a robust 50 or 60 move form. If you all have any suggestiions, it would be most helpful!

Way of the Woodsong - Empty Hand Form https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-c4_3gVGtQ

Always Seeking,

Tanulis

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First off welcome to the forum.

Very nice tat and a great bass solo!

Your form is interesting. Linear with lots of power strikes blended with soft movements. Great effort.

I study a more traditional art, rigid in its structure but fluid in its form (in my opinion.)

Try watching traditional kata for ideas. look at the bunkai for the kata as well so you will see the form and the application.

Good Luck!

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Welcome to the forum and hope we can help with things.

I look forward to seeing things that you put up.

Like Cheesfrysamurai i train in a more traditional art that is rigid in structure. But is still fluid with its forms.

My kata may be set in stone with what techniques i have to do. But the speed, strength and power is up to me.

even the kihon (basics) of my style i may have adjusted slightly to fit me as a person.

I appreciate how you started your own style. Do you plan on continually training in your previously 'main' style of martial art whilst doing your own?

Hail and Welcome.

I find that set very interesting, punches, strikes and rolling blocks. nice.

I train in Okinawan Karate and Japanese Aikido. Also Irish Bata and other Western weapons on occasion. I saw some of your stick drills too, they are different to the Irish teaching in that we never twirl the stick, we react to our opponent, we give him no energy to work with.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing more of your style.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Thank you all for the support and suggestions! I'll check out some more exotic Kata from different styles and continue to improve! Perhaps also I could make the form go 4 directions instead of 2, that way it doesnt seem too linear and repetitive.