• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial arts inspired tattoos

I just recently got one, after passing my shodan test. It's between my shoulder blades, and it has a lot more meaning to me than it sounds from the description--it's a tree with the mitsudomoe (the symbol Spartacus Maximus described) carved into the trunk.

any pics?

I have none. I came close once in relation to a personal tragedy.

I like the art and always sort of looking for that perfect idea

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A word of caution for those considering any symbols or writing from a foreign culture: make sure you get it right by consulting a native of said culture whom you trust to give you accurate information! Preferably one who also is involved in the martial art you practise.

This is the only way to prevent possible future embarrassment. As a person with a good knowledge of East Asian culture and language I have read quite a few cool looking tattoos that have quite embarrassing meanings and could not help but laugh. Many times I did not have the heart to explain it to the poor chap sporting them.

I have a few tattoos but I don't have any martial arts related tatoos as yet. I do have a japanese style Koi fish and lotus flower with the "family" Kanji down my left side, which took a total of 9 very painful hours over two sittings to complete.I also have the Chinese mahjong symbol of the red dragon on my right ribs.I do want to get the Wado symbol at some point, although I'll probably wait until I've earned my black belt for that.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag29/Marion_Mackenzie/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps91725b3c.jpg

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag29/Marion_Mackenzie/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7605eaf1.jpg

Mo.

Edited by mazzybear

Be water, my friend.

I just recently got one, after passing my shodan test. It's between my shoulder blades, and it has a lot more meaning to me than it sounds from the description--it's a tree with the mitsudomoe (the symbol Spartacus Maximus described) carved into the trunk.

any pics?

I have none. I came close once in relation to a personal tragedy.

I like the art and always sort of looking for that perfect idea

I'm not planning on posting pictures of it, since someone might print it off and take it to their tattoo artist for a copy. I will say that the tree has lots of roots representing the search for knowledge, and three levels of foliage representing "Shu-Ha-Ri."

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 1 month later...

I want one at Shodan which is coming soon....

I'm thinking taking a dove wing (from the Wado Ryu logo) across the front of my shoulder with bold Kanji in doing down my upper arm. Cant decide on the exact wording as yet.... luckily my Friends wife is Japanese native so i can make sure my translations are accurate.

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

Would love to see what that looks like. Though it sounds like it's hard to photograph, between the shoulder blades...