• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Academic Requirements

I was wondering how many of you have academic requirements for advancement in addition to the physical movements? It struck me the other day how little our brown belts knew about Isshinryu and even our own school (aka-- they were brown belts and didn't know what belt came next) and I was thinking of asking my instructor if I could help implement some academic requirements for advancement, if not for the brown belts, then at least for my new group of beginners I'll have coming in after the new year (was thinking just some simple vocabulary and very, very basic facts about the system for white belt and build from there).

I also spent the day today working on an optional "challenge" I was going to offer to the higher belts. None of the kids currently wear an Isshinryu patch on their gi even though it is allowed for yellow belts and higher (not sure how many of them even know about it. We never mention it after their first class). I put together a three step challenge consisting of a short reading passage about Isshinryu with 10 comprehension questions, a "practice each of the 4 beginning kata 10 times each" challenge, and a "color in the Isshinryu patch while learning the significance of each piece as you go" activity. Was thinking of buying like 10 Isshinryu patches with my own money to present to any kids who complete the challenge (the class itself is free to adults, so I can justify the $50 bucks).

What you think of the idea? How to do teach things like that?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm a big fan of having students learn the history behind what they practice. For me it adds a whole new depth to training that I think is really valuable for students.

The difficult part is getting them interested. I think you have some creative ideas that will create some interest in the students for the system. You should also pay attention to how your students learn. Some students have a genuine interest in reading texts about this while others want to learn from videos and so on. Part of your job as a teacher is facilitate the best learning environment for your students and while it isn't always practical in MAs to bend your teaching to fit the physical side for every student, learning the history is definitely something that you can work with every student differently on.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

We don't really have academic requirements but we do require our students grading to Shodan-Ho and higher to do a written exam with some questions.

It disappoints me when our juniors don't know some information that they should really know. Like the terminology and other general knowledge questions that all karateka should be able to answer.

& Lupin1 why isn't it a requirement for students to have the isshinryu badge on their gi's for you guys?

I am already looking at opening my own dojo in a few years time or even a branch dojo of my current school and I would have extra requirements for all students at my dojo to have that knowledge.

& Lupin1 why isn't it a requirement for students to have the isshinryu badge on their gi's for you guys?

Not sure, actually. When I was a kid it was optional for everyone. About half wore it, including myself. At some point while I was gone (I quit and went back to the same school 12 years later as an adult), my instructor decided to allow it only for yellow belt and up (since the first Isshinryu kata isn't taught until yellow belt). But, as I said, we mention it in our welcome speech on the first night and never bring it up again. Not even the adults wear it (I personally like to keep my gi plain as I like to dabble in other styles and it makes it easier, though if I were to do this I'd probably start wearing the patch).

This is so ironic, I met a junior Dan grade who has no idea what style of karate he has been doing. I spoke to a kickboxing instructor who has no idea why they call their style "Chinese Kick Boxing." I met another instructor who claims that MMA is a martial art in its own right. I met a martial artist who claims to have a black belt in Krav Maga. I also trained with a man who has knowledge of a Nordic Martial Art in which you make body shapes in the form of Futhark Runes. Martial arts take some intelligence to perform, you are limited at least initially to the quality of your teacher. If you meet one who's ambition is to further your skill past their own, then you are lucky. Read, go and seek as much knowledge as you can and make it your own. Be wary of any Sensei who tells you; "You will never be as good as us your teachers." They are deluded.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

We require a little knowledge of the history of our style, and some terminology. Not as much as I would like, but I'm also a karate nerd. I will sometimes quiz students at the end of class about our lineage, what a Japanese word means, what a technique is called, or where a kata came from. During tests, you will be asked these kinds of questions, and the shodan test includes a written exam where you have to be able to answer them. We've discussed holding an extra class every now and then to cover history and philosophy of karate, as well, but haven't implemented it as of yet.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

We don't require anything like that. We really just focus on technique and the curriculum. I do think you have some good ideas, though, and you should run with them. I do think its a good idea to relate this kind of information to the students, either as the instructor, or by providing some resources they can follow up on in regards to finding the information.

We do have quite a bit of stuff to learn alongside the practical. At each grade it's the Korean terminology for each new technique. Also we have meanings to all of our patterns (kata) as they are all named after someone or something from Korean history. For kids it's ok to just learn the meaning and the dates but with adults I would expect them to look into this more on their own time and learn more about the history and background to each.

When we test for 1st dan we must write a short paper on any aspect of Taekwon-Do or Martial Arts / physical fitness then when testing for 4th dan an even longer more involved paper is expected. All dan grades also have a written paper to accompany them.

I do like your idea of how to learn the Isshin Ryu patch Devin, any chance you're a school teacher? :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

We do have quite a bit of stuff to learn alongside the practical. At each grade it's the Korean terminology for each new technique. Also we have meanings to all of our patterns (kata) as they are all named after someone or something from Korean history. For kids it's ok to just learn the meaning and the dates but with adults I would expect them to look into this more on their own time and learn more about the history and background to each.

When we test for 1st dan we must write a short paper on any aspect of Taekwon-Do or Martial Arts / physical fitness then when testing for 4th dan an even longer more involved paper is expected. All dan grades also have a written paper to accompany them.

I do like your idea of how to learn the Isshin Ryu patch Devin, any chance you're a school teacher? :)

Danielle, have you looked into Stuart Anslow's book From Creation to Unification? It has great sections on the histories behind the names of the ITF forms. I've read, and really enjoyed it: http://www.amazon.com/Creation-Unification-Complete-Histories-Patterns/dp/1906628556/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418760363&sr=1-3&keywords=Stuart+Anslow+in+books

In the first dojo I trained in each Dan grade required the student to submit an essay on a subject related to theory, martial philosophy or history of karate. This was very academic assignment with the same structure and referencing required for a research paper at the undergraduate level. The student was expected to read books for referencing and supporting his statements. The work was even graded with a percent on how well the subject was understood, clarity and other criteria. First dan required 15 pages typed, second was 20 pages and third dan was 25pages. The essay had to be submitted no later than 2 weeks before the grading test.

Looking back I think this type of academic requirement is extreme. Not everyone is so academically inclined and martial arts are for physical training more than intellectual discussion. However, I believe that an advanced student of martial arts should have at least a minimum of knowledge about the origin and history of his chosen discipline. In my humble opinion answering these questions is a good start:

What is the name of your system?

Where does XYZ originate?

Who was your teacher's teacher and who is the earliest known expert instructor of XYZ

Approximately how old is XYZ

Any other information is good to know personally but not really necessary. If someone wants to know, with a good basic knowledge it is possible to point them In the right direction and encourage them to research it themselves.

If forum members can answer the basic questions about their style, it's all they really need. Here are mine:

Martial art style: Shorin Ryu

Origin: Ryukyu island kingdom, Shuri present day Okinawa

Teacher's teacher and earliest expert known:teacher's teacher is Miyahira K(1916-2010). Earliest expert is Matsumura Sokon(1806-1896)

Style age:Less than 120 years old counted from the death of earliest expert but history could be up to 250 years.

That's it.