• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Groin/Hips Flexibility/Strengthening

Kanku65

For the better part of a year, I have been trying to gain flexibility in my groin and hips, and yet making no progress.

Once I'm warmed up, I can throw certain kicks above my head with great ease, but kicks such as crescent kicks and side snap kicks present particular problems even when fully limbered.

I actually became more aware of this last week when sensei had us do a grand amount of crescent kicks.

Now, I don't believe I have a groin pull, but my inner thighs and groin has been sore for 6 days now, and I realize how little strength and flexibility I have in this area.

I'm looking for good exercises I can do at home that will strengthen and loosen these areas up.

Thanks. :)

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thank you very much for the link. The stretches are basically what we go through at the beginning of class. This tells me that I am most likely on the right track and probably just have to up the frequency of stretching.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

mal103 raised some good points.

I think this sounds like a matter of muscle conditioning.

I "suffered" from something similar for years, until I made my focus the areas in which I was lacking.

I have found the long style stances (Zenkutsu, Kiba and Shiko dachi's) great for building up the strength for kicking as well as stretching the muscles and ligaments to perform high kicks.

Active/dynamic stretching will help. Don't expect overnight results, but a long term approach will definitely pay off!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I wouldn't get too hung up about the height of kicks, their value is the greatest misconception in martial arts. I'd rather smack an opponent's thigh than attempt a head kick, they're just too risky.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I wouldn't get too hung up about the height of kicks, their value is the greatest misconception in martial arts. I'd rather smack an opponent's thigh than attempt a head kick, they're just too risky.

Sound advice, I often advise not to worry about height, better to deliver a good technically strong low kick. If you try high kicks against someone fast then you will soon be on your backside.

A lot of the best applications of Kata involve kicking low or disrupting an opponents leg/knee.

Also the end position of a kick can often be just that - the end position - it hit the intended target on it's way to being head height. ;) A lot of people misinterpret Kata Bunkai by looking at the end position.

Sound advice, I often advise not to worry about height, better to deliver a good technically strong low kick. If you try high kicks against someone fast then you will soon be on your backside.

A lot of the best applications of Kata involve kicking low or disrupting an opponents leg/knee.

Also the end position of a kick can often be just that - the end position - it hit the intended target on it's way to being head height. ;) A lot of people misinterpret Kata Bunkai by looking at the end position.

This is a good thought. The kick could be a head kick, after you've dropped the opponent to his knees....

Oh yes, some people will argue till they are blue in the face but it is true; the higher you kick, the more power you lose.

That's one of the primary reasons that there are no kicks above the stomach in Shindokan!!

:$

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

These arguments pop up all the time. I'm not saying that they are not valid, but its a skill thing IMO.

It is akin to todays extreme kata. Is there any real use for it?... probably not. Does it take a huge amount of skill and body coordination to pull off?... My word it does!

I would not use a head height kick if I had to get myself out of an altercation, but there value in being a well rounded and skilful martial artist should not be discounted in my humble opinion.

Additionally, they have proven useful in the full contact arena, including Kyokushin, Muay Thai and MMA style fights. They can work if executed properly.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."