• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training Partners

My immediate training partner, in and out of the Hombu, is Greg, our Kancho, we're close in rank and equal in Shogo titles; because of this, we do teach one another whenever we're able to get together, which is about 6-10 times per year!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have our juniors ask me all the time how much i practice outside of the dojo. I tell them that it varies week by week. But when I am at work (2 jobs) when i am stuck behind the desk I can't as much but when i am with clients in the gym i practice stances.

outside of work i practice usually practice by myself everyday. but when my fiance (newly engaged by the way) stays over we do partner-work.

Good discussion!!

Outside the dojo, some of guys go to Jujitsu, judo or MMA classes, a couple play 'Football' (soccer) or rugby and so on.

Most go to the gym ...

We all as part of the lead up to tournament get together outside the dojo and go running, and use local climbing frames and so on for general exercising .. sit ups and pull ups and so on.

What I find interesting is the guys that do 'another' sport that is not MA at all in any way, the football or rugby players, these guys are more grounded less jittery when training.

Where the guys that do MMA or judo etc etc are more intense and pumped to the point of bursting, and less attentive, focussed yes, but its a like a fog or something that seems to thrown them off just a little...jittery!

It seems to me the 'cross' training, doing a none combat sport, opens the mind to alternative ideas, focus and even direction on driving and pushing yourself.

The guys seem more grounded, balanced and focussed!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

What I find interesting is the guys that do 'another' sport that is not MA at all in any way, the football or rugby players, these guys are more grounded less jittery when training.

Where the guys that do MMA or judo etc etc are more intense and pumped to the point of bursting, and less attentive, focussed yes, but its a like a fog or something that seems to thrown them off just a little...jittery!

It seems to me the 'cross' training, doing a none combat sport, opens the mind to alternative ideas, focus and even direction on driving and pushing yourself.

The guys seem more grounded, balanced and focussed!

Very interesting!

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Unexpected that is for sure!

When I think about it and to be honest I've not really considered it ... when I do, the idea "its a mind set" thing, simply is sufficient answer it satisfiesthe way I look at it.

My simple and basic idea in a box answer supports the idea as well ... its just the mind set, a different way to see the same problem and respond!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

In the dojo or gym, training with partners is essential to true understanding of concepts and development of skills/techniques. Take kata, for instance; to truly understand concepts/bunkai/oyo transmitted by kata, we must take waza out of a given kata and work them with a live opponent. But, that's where the catch is; this should be done under the guidance of an experienced and skilled instructor.

When we train outside of the dojo or gym, training with a partner who is not an experienced and skilled instructor can be a pitfall. There are many benefits, as well, like fellowship/camaraderie, working the techniques, getting a workout, etc. However, the major pitfall is for training partners to train incorrectly and develop bad habits/techniques.

While partners are essential for true martial art skill development and understanding, IMHO, the core essential of training outside the dojo or gym is true self internalization of concepts (the Shu-Ha-Ri thing). I am of the philosophy that a practitioner's most significant gains in internalization of concepts come after the partner work/training in the dojo, when the practitioner is alone and training/contemplating what was worked at the dojo; when the practitioner reaches internalization/true understanding on his/her own. After all, the greatest instructor in the world cannot make anyone understand anything; instructors are never really givers of knowledge, rather, they are guides that point to knowledge. The student/practitioner can only (and must) reach knowledge/understanding/internalization on his/her own. An experienced and skilled instructor guides the student/practitioner to keep him/her on a conceptually sound path to the knowledge/understanding/internalization and to keep him/her from developing bad habits/techniques.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...