• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training program for kicking?

hansenator

Hello,

Are there any guidelines to really work on improving kicks for a while? By that, I mean like setting up a training schedule. I can think of several categories of training that can be addressed but what are your thoughts on what, how much, and how often?

For the record, I'm not training for competition or anything. I just want to develop really strong, fast, basic kicks. I'd like to bring them up to a "professional" level.

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd start by a strengthening program. Weighted squats, power cleans, and dead lifts will build the muscle in your legs that will lead to powerful kicking. There are some good programs out there that go 3 days a week, and hit the whole body.

After you build some strength, you can start in on some plyometrics. There are lots of resources out there on this, and some decent books on the subject, too, that you can look into. You might try to find an athletic trainer that can mold a program specific for you. Typically, plyometrics are done twice a week, and the rest period between each workout used to be recommended at 72 hours. By adding this program in, it might affect how many days a week you lift.

The third leg of this stool would be stretching. Start stretching now. Stretch lightly when you are cold. Stretch really hard after your workout. Do static stretching and look into some dynamic stretching, too. If you have a workout partner, you can do so stretching called PNF, which I believe stands for proprioceptive nueromuscular facilitation stretching.

With all that put together, there is the kicking practice itself. Along with just basic kick practicing, set yourself up to do some stimuli training. Get a partner who wears a vest of some kind, and do kicks and counter kicks with him. This kind of training will help to build the functionality of your kicks, along with the technique.

I hope that helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks for the tips.

I'm on a general strength program. Lower body workouts include mostly deadlifts, kettlebell swings and single leg squat progressions.

Are there specific speed or power drills for kicking or does that just come from strong muscles and lots of practice?

I'm kind of back and forth; Sometimes I practice form, sometimes kick the heavy bag, sometimes specific exercises for different kicks but there's no plan or schedule or anything. Since training time is limited, I'm trying to make it more efficient.

It sounds like you have some good training ideas there. If I were you, I'd jot down what you have for each of those ideas (form, heavy bag, etc) and then organize them into sets and reps for drilling. Maybe rotate what you do every week.

Tabata drills can help build power and speed, especially on a heavy bag. Tabatas are basically picking an exercise, say back leg round kick, and you do it for 30 seconds at high intensity, like kicking a bag, and then rest for 1 minute, I think. If you look it up, there may be more specific ideas for the times, but you get the idea.

From that, you could add in some pad work, with kicking shields for side kicks and front kicks, and then target pads for round kicks, front kicks, crescent kicks, etc.

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like it's actually pretty straightforward. I have a tendency to overthink things.

When I first started getting back into shape, I was surprised how slow I moved and a lot of that was from a lack of core strength. It's like there was no connection between the upper and lower body. It's getting better as I get fitter but it really made me appreciate the role a strong core plays.

Are there any favorite core exercises that have made a difference in your performance?

I don't do much core work, really, but its a good idea. I think just regular crunches and whatever else you like would work well for you. Make sure to hit the obliques, as well, as those muscles help hold the leg out to the side when doing side and round kicks.