• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What kata do you do for tournaments?

Nidan Melbourne

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I haven't competed seriously in a few years (since shitei kata was eliminated), so my repertoire then was

-bassai dai

-seinchin

-kosokun sho

-gojushiho

-nipaipo

-chatanyara kusanku

In case you didn't guess, I'm a Shito Ryu practitioner :P

It's not about the medals you win, it's about how much you improve.

The second I saw Nipaipo I figured you were Shito-Ryu but also the fact it is under your "styles" biography.

My list is

Jion

Seeiunchin

Seisan

Seipai

Kururunfa

Suparempei (will be my dominant finals kata unless I have to pull it out earlier)

Up unitl now it's just been Pinan katas for me. But now I've moved up to the 3rd-1st Kyu category, my repertoire will change. As I only need 3 kata for this section, I'm planning to go with the following:

Chinto

Jion

Wanshu

Although I've not fully learned Jion or Wanshu, the next Kata competition is not until March/April time, so I have time to work on them.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

We don't really do tournaments. Last and only one I've ever competed in, I was 10 years old and an orange belt. I did our (Isshinryu-ized and watered down for beginners) version of Anaku. Got 2nd place in a division with much higher ranks.

If I were to compete now, I would want to do Kusanku, though my best kata is Seisan (as it should be). My instructor, however, has always had a rule that all brown belts have to compete with Chinto (one of my least favorite katas). So that's probably what I'd end up doing.

We don't really do tournaments. Last and only one I've ever competed in, I was 10 years old and an orange belt. I did our (Isshinryu-ized and watered down for beginners) version of Anaku. Got 2nd place in a division with much higher ranks.

If I were to compete now, I would want to do Kusanku, though my best kata is Seisan (as it should be). My instructor, however, has always had a rule that all brown belts have to compete with Chinto (one of my least favorite katas). So that's probably what I'd end up doing.

Why does your instructor make that rule?

Why does your instructor make that rule?

He explained it to me once, but as we don't really compete, I wasn't paying too close attention... I believe it had something to do with developing power through spinning movements and timing or something like that. So it's not so much the wanting us to compete with it as it is wanting us to spend a month or two tirelessly practicing and dissecting that particular kata at the brown belt level. Granted, he could ask us to do that anyway, but nothing motivates you to seriously get to know a kata better than a little competition.

• 3 weeks later...