• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Journeying Into Kumite; Children!

All of the training I referred to are those than can be taught almost without any actual techniques used. The youngest children I ever saw actually practising any kind of kumite were around 8 years old. They were visibly making progress but their training was limited to taking turns doing one technique and one counter. Contact was just a light touch like tag. Younger students between 5 and 7 did different drills using soft foam targets held by instructors or older students to help them learn their rang and reach. There were also many drills to train the skill of dodging, entering the opponent's space for a strike and covering up and blocking. All of these were done through a game or obstacle course type race where the children had to complete stations in limited time and against an opposing team. It looked like great fun and even the older children asked to do it. They would not take no for an answer so the instructor ended up doing the same drills for them every other kumite practise session.
Kids learn so well through play, so that is a big key to making kumite/sparring more comfortable for them. I do think with kids its much more important to limit the contact levels, i.e. light contact sparring. Cases can be made for either continuous or point/break sparring, but both can have benefits in training.

I will say this. I have one boy starting Wrestling at age 5 this year, and one that has been Wrestling now into his 4th year, since he was 5. I've seen with my oldest boy that all the mat time he's had in practice and in tournaments has done wonders for him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Children will always rise to the level of expectations set for them and those who are ready (as young as 4) spar at my dojo...there are so many great things to learn from it and it can be done safely if you are willing to put in the effort. Drills build skills!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I can respect the JKA for having those guidelines for their students to follow. But then again they should learn how to do kumite earlier than that.

At my dojo (it was the same at my old one, and at a couple of my friends dojos) we start teaching our students kumite as yellow belts (8th kyu) but some if they are old enough as white belts. And that is for both our juniors and seniors.

Our reasoning for that is because the earlier they learn it the more confident they will be with it. Also they will be comfortable with getting hit as well, so when they get more experienced they can take harder hits.

So they learn control + how much strength to put into each technique, timining, distancing.

I can only suppose that something must of occurred in the past for the JKA to make this rule. And it seems that the JKA isn't apologizing for their stand on this issue.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I think the JKA are right, even as adults we were not allowed to spar freely until we were 5th Kyu or blue belt. Kids bouncing up and down playing tag in dipped foam from head to toe are not sparring, they are playing. It's even sadder when adults do it, but then again, you can be a world champion at doing just that. The best Kumite I have experienced was Ju Ippon Kumite. WAKO mits, shin guards and gum shield. It's the first to one full point. And a touch won't score, it has to be a solid but controlled contact; usually a take down with follow up or a punch or kick that breaks your opponent's ki will score an Ippon. Other less perfect techniques score the components of the point. It's tough, you just have to listen to the sound when two adult karateka meet on the mat, sometimes with simultaneous body strikes. You are cautioned if you draw blood, and a knock out does not necessarily end the bout. It's not quite the bone crushing Kayokoshin Kumite, but not far off. It's not for children of any grade, we did it as adults and 3rd kyu and above.

Look to the far mountain and see all.