• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Automatic grading

I tend to agree with you sentiment about auto-grading being a sign of a McDojo. However, as this forum has proven many times, the line between legit and McDojo isn't always clearly defined.

I certainly understand auto-grading, keeping students is hard and if you can get them hooked by ranking them up, even if they haven't necessarily earned it, what's the harm? Certainly they can catch up.

The problem with this logic, I think, is that now the student has to catch up to their own rank and then become proficient enough to be promoted to the next and that can take a lot of time.

I feel that I earned all of my ranks. There used to be a time where it would make me angry to see people rank up who didn't deserve it because I had worked so hard for mine but I've gotten over that. Now I feel sad because they will never have the same sense of accomplishment that I achieved.

I wouldn't worry too much about your old dojo. If the instructor wants to take the school in that direction then that is their choice. As an instructor of your own school, you should focus on your students and give them the training they deserve.

Solid post. I do not agree with auto grading and believe that rank should be earned. But do agree that it hurts no one except the student thats been bumped in rank. This is however the problem I have with this concept. As an instructor its contrary to my instincts to help a student acheive his/ her best.

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like social promotion!

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Sounds like social promotion!

Looking back there were a few that got graded who clearly weren't ready but were related or friends with the instructor(s)/Sensei.

This results on one passing with only a few hours in a dojo, some girls passing a senior Kyu grade who had very poor technique and a 2 year Black Belt!

I spoke with a few students who did have the correct mind set who stated they refused to grade because they thought they would pass but were confident that they were not ready.

The old club are trying to grade two 1st Kyu's to Shodan who are not ready, they still train with me as well but are clearly not as good as my other 1st Kyu's.

We need MA Police who expose these McDojo's and can strip the Sensei of rank instead of allowing them to hand rank out like sweets. ;)

• 1 month later...

As a parent of a student I appreciate that I know ROUGHLY my son will get a stripe every X # of classes, more so if he doesn't then I can ask "is something wrong, what does he need to work on, etc". They do watch them closer before a stripe and make sure they deserve the stripe.

After 4 stripes they watch him closer and make sure he is where he needs to be to go up.

Once there name goes on the board for graduation I rarely see it removed for failure to comply (when I have it has been higher belts).

I understand your concerns about auto ranking BUT parents need a way to know specifically what is going on too.

I am an adult student about 6 months behind my son and I can tell by pressure from my Sensei or little comments here and there, but my son is way to young to understand any of that.

Specificity is important, just as long as the parent/student isn't questioning the CI's grading. By that I mean, the CI determines everything about everything; therefore, question, but with respect.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 4 weeks later...
I think auto gradings are a clear sign of a McDojo - what do you think?

I'm in absolute AGREEMENT with this. Belts need to be earned, not given.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

You know what's worse than auto grading? Favoritism.. This is one of the things that drove me from my school. I would sit on a board and see a student who would need to stay in their current rank however the instructor would say something like "No, he needs to pass he should keep coming here" while other students who in my opinion were good enough to pass though had maybe one or two small areas where they could improve would fail because they weren't the "favorites"

I have also heard verbatim that " this student needs to pass or they will quit" and have been over ruled because of such things.. Personally I think that when money is the motivator most students are sure to pass, that way they keep coming and keep paying.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

I have also heard verbatim that " this student needs to pass or they will quit" and have been over ruled because of such things.. Personally I think that when money is the motivator most students are sure to pass, that way they keep coming and keep paying.

I think it depends, though. We've made decisions like that for our kids and we're a free school. For the most part, the ranks before Shodan are just teaching and motivation tools. If promoting a child who's not quite there yet with his or her classmates keeps them coming to class and learning for a little while longer, plus gives a needed boost in confidence, why not? I wouldn't advocate it in the upper ranks where they should be more intrinsically motivated and the standards are a big more stringent, but in the long run the color of the belt doesn't matter as much if it keeps a kid coming.

Passing a student to avoid the risk of losing a student is not a very good idea or an effective strategy. There is absolutely nothing an instructor can do to prevent a student from quitting, not even a promotion and new coloured belt. Sooner or later some students will stop showing up. Even after being given(not earning) a promotion that was meant to motivate or retain them.

Free or automatic promotions actually devalue them and make it more likely for people to quit. When someone has worked hard for something they know what it cost to obtain it and are far less likely to give it up and quit.

I understand that in today's society, automatic grading becomes more the norm. A Dojo needs to take into account the financial aspect of running a business. If you are very strict, something that would be beneficial for the overall quality, it would also demotivate many students. This will probably result in such a low number of students left that it is not financially viable to continue the dojo, thus no dojo eventually.

Personally I believe that if you become demotivated to such a level that you quit a Dojo because you weren't promoted, there is more to learn for you in life than just martial arts. For the martial arts as a whole, being strict would be very important. Progress is not made by complacency but by hard work and humbleness, something not often enough found in people nowadays.

So it comes down to finding the balance. Not auto grading just for the heck of it. Not being so strict that you have too few students to continue your business. But somewhere in between.

"The ultimate aim of the art of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the characters of its participants."

Gichin Funakoshi