• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

JKA Shotokan curriculum over a period of 3 months

rhilllakefield

Hi,

I'm considering a move to back to Karate again after a while away in Jeet kune do.

Ive been spoiled with the practicality of it, and although my roots and framework are in Karate, Im not too familiar with Shotokan.

What would normally be covered in a 3 months span in a traditional JKA style club?

There is a local club to me, with a terrific instructor. I would really like to do my research before training full time with him, in case it isn't for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to not be terribly boxed in. I come from a kyoksuhin and British Ishinryu background, and have a slightly different style than the traditional stylists. Neither is right or wrong, I'm just wondering how flexible things are with different backgrounds.

I'm interested in continuous sparring competition, as well as bunkai and practical applications, as well as the traditional kata and discipline.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've only ever trained in ISKF. But, I do believe that most Shotokan dojos and organisations are essentially the same at least around 9-6 kyu level.

Most likely you will need to know oizuki, gyakuzuki, downward block, rising block, outside forearm block, front snap kick all in frontstance. Knife hand block in backstance. Side snap kick, and side thrust kick in sidestance.

You will also have to execute 3 step sparring using chudan, and jodan oizuki, and chudan front snap. Defensively you'll have to demonstrate outside forearm block, rising block and downward block. Heian Shodan will also be essential.

Where I train, we don't just follow basic curriculum, we also introduce white belts to light freestyle kumite, as well as a good deal of bunkai. Things like these are of course normally based off of a Sensei's personal teaching preference.

I hope somebody who has trained with JKA can provide a more conclusive post to better aide you in your search for info.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

I've trained in Shotokan associations from "both" branches (Kanazawa and Enoda) as I see it anyway... If you've done Ticky Donovan's Ishinryu, you will find the first 3-9 months very similar (dependent on club and instructor).

You can see an example of the the grading syllabus here. However what you'll actually learn on a lesson to lesson basis will be again dependant on the individual club and instructor within the JKA.

As for attending non-JKA sanctioned tournaments or open tournaments, I guess there is no "average" sensei. Some approve, some don't.

EDIT: poor grammar, sorry :(

Edited by wagnerk

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

I don't know much about either, but I think Shotokan does more point sparring than continuous sparring.

I would say this, though...if you are looking to get back into, then go take a look at the club, and if you think the training will be worth it, then jump in with both feet, and enjoy!

It depends on how many times you train in that time.

But from memory Isshinryu has some roots from Shotokan so you should be set there. Especially with Ticky Donovan's he would use it.

It depends on the instructor and the school itself. If it is ISKF or JKA they will have requirements that the school will have to comply with.

Since you have Kyokushin + ishyinryu training you will progress much faster than those without that prior training.