• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's been your biggest struggle as a martial artist?

Age!

I was never very good any any other sport, I loved rugby, but for what ever reason was put in as a forward when I should have been a back ... but still loved the game and was happy to play any position!

Nothing ever came of it, no school team selections and so on.

Athletics was mainly running, javelin and discus, and again no selections for his or that team.

MA on the other hand was the only 'sport' I found I cold do well and when the session was over gave me a feeling of satisfaction and progress.

I took to tournaments and started to bring home silverware.

Then 'life' came along and I stopped training for an age.

Now I've returned, I'm much older now, slower, but that feeling of achievement and the satisfaction is as strong now as it ever was ... just takes me longer to get the feeling in my legs back thats all! :lol: :lol:

Edited by Hawkmoon

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main struggle is being so damn sexy. I know it sounds strange but it hurts my training. The women in the dojo can't concentrate, it affects the entire dojo's performance and slows training. Even the straight male instructors feel inferior due to my outstanding sex appeal and that affects how they instruct me. It's been a real challenge ever since a was a young boy.

Ok now that we got the laughs out the way I can tell the truth. You guys were starting the depress me, but here's my struggles below.

I have a work schedule that puts me on an offshore oil rig half of my life. I finally decided to quit using that as an excuse and just do what I can. I then found out that I actually attend more training then people who don't work like I do.

I also have a herniated disc in my neck, I'm over 40 years old and I'm still overweight in spite of all my training as of late. Certainly not too sexy!

Oh and I'm also trying to grow a cattle operation.

WildBourgMan

My main struggle is being so damn sexy. I know it sounds strange but it hurts my training. The women in the dojo can't concentrate, it affects the entire dojo's performance and slows training. Even the straight male instructors feel inferior due to my outstanding sex appeal and that affects how they instruct me. It's been a real challenge ever since a was a young boy.

Ok now that we got the laughs out the way I can tell the truth. You guys were starting the depress me, but here's my struggles below.

I have a work schedule that puts me on an offshore oil rig half of my life. I finally decided to quit using that as an excuse and just do what I can. I then found out that I actually attend more training then people who don't work like I do.

I also have a herniated disc in my neck, I'm over 40 years old and I'm still overweight in spite of all my training as of late. Certainly not too sexy!

That was great! :lol: Thanks for the laugh!

Hey all,

Unfortunately, we have removed a post from this thread in error. The post is below. I apologize for the mistake.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Sincerely,

Patrick

http://i.giphy.com/UH2avkr55L1Fm.gif

.. I have no words!

finding a place at home to practice, especially during colder and wet weather when I can not practice outside.

Amen to that... :) Cramped apartment + cold, snowy weather = slightly fatter me... :lol:

Seriously, my struggle is that I haven't figured out the whole juggling act, yet. That is, juggling family, work, and karate training in the correct order to be able to devote enough time to training after the other two priorities are met. It seems every time I try to figure it out, my mind becomes clouded by the obligatory clown/circus music... :rofl2:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

For me, it's:

1. Having Sjögren's syndrome (an autoimmune disorder, same family as rheumatoid arthritis)

2. Working two jobs

3. Studying

4. Having a family.

The key thing is balance :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

Hey all,

Unfortunately, we have removed a post from this thread in error. The post is below. I apologize for the mistake.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Sincerely,

Patrick

http://i.giphy.com/UH2avkr55L1Fm.gif

.. I have no words!

Good stuff! :lol:

• 1 month later...