• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's been your biggest struggle as a martial artist?

There are so many on the money making band wagon in the UK you would not believe! At best they teach watered down rubbish. Others build clubs to create muscle for criminal activity, but that a given in most of the world. I was so relieved when my present Sensei said; "Put your belt in the bin and leave your ego by the door." I have come home.

Glad you found a good fit!

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, its finding the time to train. Between my job, which rotates shifts, and family with boys at the age of beginning to get into all kinds of activities, my time is not often my own. Along with all that, I haven't been able to stay in very good shape, which makes the time I have to train not as much fun as it once was.

... being able to find enough motivation to practice at home. I would like to dedicate more time to my MA training/practice. I know I have to.

Just at the end of the day, after taking care of my two year old, my job (can be very demanding at times) running errands, house chores, and to top it off my wife suffers from bipolar/depression disorder... I find myself completely and totally drained, unable to do anything but staring at the computer screen reading/reseaching then finally falling asleep on top of the keyboard :dodgy:

... being able to find enough motivation to practice at home. I would like to dedicate more time to my MA training/practice. I know I have to.

Just at the end of the day, after taking care of my two year old, my job (can be very demanding at times) running errands, house chores, and to top it off my wife suffers from bipolar/depression disorder... I find myself completely and totally drained, unable to do anything but staring at the computer screen reading/reseaching then finally falling asleep on top of the keyboard :dodgy:

These things do make training at home difficult. When so many others require your time, its tough to do anything but rest when you have your own time.

Finding space to train on my own has been my ULTIMATE struggle!

I'm thankful for all extra time I find, but I normally spend it reading books about Karate instead of training due to my lack of room. Of course, where there's a will, there's a way I guess. But even if I move furniture around, I haven't room for a full kata, and I feel like this inhibits my ability to execute proper techniques. Bad habits are not something I'm interested in the development of.

I've just recently destroyed my habits of poor and lazy retraction which was a big thing for a little while, but now I've noticed my front and back stance getting progressively lazier. Sensei has not mentioned it to me, which leads me to believe that I may be putting more and more pressure on myself as I climb the rank ladder. My next grading is Shodan, and therefore I must improve everything.

In Martial Arts, everything is a struggle. It's meant to be that way to ensure we never fall into a rut. Embrace the struggle, love it, feed from it, grow.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Bit late to the party but for me it's flexibility. I find its the main thing that limits everything I do, especially given I do a "kicking" style. I've practiced since I was a kid and pretty much stretched every day too but I just don't have that much flexibility in my hips (or shoulders). Just think everything would improve ten fold if I had better flexibility.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Bit late to the party but for me it's flexibility. I find its the main thing that limits everything I do, especially given I do a "kicking" style. I've practiced since I was a kid and pretty much stretched every day too but I just don't have that much flexibility in my hips (or shoulders). Just think everything would improve ten fold if I had better flexibility.

I can relate!!! :karate:

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

I can relate!!! :karate:

I can third that, as well. I've never been able to do split, but I've lost flexibility as I've gotten older.
I'd rather have my MA training suffer than having my family suffer!!

Amen to that. Without my family, I've got nothing.

I have struggled with a lot of ankle/foot and toe pain over the years and being dedicated to excising these areas!

That and dealing with some of my friends perception of Karate and why i do it...

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka