• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's been your biggest struggle as a martial artist?

For me, its been my back. I've got pretty bad degenerative disk disease, which has caused significant weight gain not being able to work out, and i've not been able to fight for hte last 3 years because i've not properlly trained like I should... So that's my story...

What's stopped you? Distance? Price of training? Injury?

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it has been my physical limitations affecting my training. I just turned 40, and I've always been pretty coordinated and athletic. However, I've had a bad knee for years now, and it has affected my ability to perform certain techniques as well as I would like to. Also, my flexibility is an issue. I believe that this is more problematic than my knee. If I were more flexible, I would be able to do more.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I've been dealing with a strange health issue that causes me to feel motion sick and incredibly fatigued for the past year. So far, I've seen 8 doctors and still don't have an answer as to what it is, or how to fix it. This has made me miss training, and I have had to reduce the intensity of my training. I've also had to cut out weight training almost completely.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

My biggest struggle is on going because I cannot yet claim to have overcome it yet. I lost much of the flexibility I once had and trying to regain it is painful. I also have trouble with controlling my breathing for keeping up intense training. I remember nearly passing out from exhaustion last year. I still struggle but I can keep up so I improved a little since then

My main struggle right now is trying to increase the endurance and strength in my core and legs for balance and getting more power into my techniques.

Shoulder and back problems have derailed my training for years. I'm just getting back into it now.

In training, I've also been frustrated by not being able to get enough repetition during partner drills to really get good at something. I'd be happy to work something until I really own it but it's hard to find like minded training partners.

I have had flexibility and strength issues since childhood. Now it's really only limited to areas like my wrist which I can't fully extend back. Have been working to extend the range of motion as much as possible.

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com

It's a good thing that Shindokan doesn't teach high kicks because my right knee hasn't been the same since I was a JBB; I accidently put a Kama deeply into it!! Ever since, my right leg kicks, high ones that is, have been a struggle. Probably good thing that my left leg's fine.

As I get older, my right leg, from my knee to my toes is always numb. I hobble until I get the walking motion in gear; then, I'm fine. Those first couple steps are a struggle.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Simple, finding an Honest Sensei.

Yikes! Don't know whether to laugh or cry!!!

For me it's staying relaxed.

Sometimes the work week catches up with me (more often than I'd like!!!) and it takes a while for me to loosen up. Especially in my shoulders. In fact it's a joke with master because he'll walk by and give a certain smile - he doesn't even have to tell me - and I'm reminded to RELAX!!! :karate:

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

There are so many on the money making band wagon in the UK you would not believe! At best they teach watered down rubbish. Others build clubs to create muscle for criminal activity, but that a given in most of the world. I was so relieved when my present Sensei said; "Put your belt in the bin and leave your ego by the door." I have come home.

Look to the far mountain and see all.