• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

##

Shojiko

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There was a time when I spent 14 hours a week at the dojo, on top of 40 hours of work. My wife (who was my girlfriend, at the time) put up with it for about a year :P. These days, I typically spend 6-9 hours at the dojo every week. Every now and then, I'll be able to sneak in another hour or two. I don't feel like this is enough training, but you do have to strike a balance. It's important to train at home when you do have a chance, though, to supplement your dojo training. My best improvements typically come after I get a correction at the dojo and then work on it at home.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I train two two hour sessions of aikido a week and a Ninpo session every month. I train Karate every day, at least some if just a few minutes.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

3 days a week. 2 hours on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Tuesday and Thursday is 1 hour of kids class that i help with and 1 hour of adult class.

I got 3 kids and a full time job. It can get tight with time but we prioritize it so it usually works out unless I'm out of town or my wife is out of town.

I work all week and only get to the dojo twice a week. However, I make it a point to train/practise at LEAST an hour, at LEAST 3 days in the week after work. I use whatever free time I can get. It is very difficult to develop any skill or improve if you only practise when your instructor is present or at the dojo. The time spent at the dojo means very little unless you also train on your own time.

I prefer to have a regular practise time but sometimes I have to change it. Each family member has something they want to do alone (hobby, pass time etc) and we all agreed to respect each other's personal schedule. Planning it I key so that it does not interfere with anything important.

In my case I agree to finish my session before anyone's bedtime. The others allow me to train uninterrupted unless for emergencies. In exchange I let them have their turn and cooperate to make sure they can do whatever they need their time for.

It's worth taking the time to discuss and plan with everyone in the house. Everyone in my personal circle knows that very few things will make me put aside practising karate. I have been into it for so long that it has become who I am and nothing or nobody has or will change that. People who will not or cannot accept that are no longer around me. Luckily those I care most about support me even if they find my obsession with martial arts strange. That's the best one could hope for as a shameless martial arts freak.

I work 9-5, have kids, and a husband. I get to the dojo 3-4 times a week, for an hour or so each time. My husband is supportive, so I'm lucky. Practicing at home is tougher - my time outside of the dojo is really busy. So I try to get in 4 times in the week if I can, but I at least manage 3.

Work 9-5, No kids or anything. But the Dojo is only open twice a week. I attend both the children and adult classes as an instructor/student for 6 hours total of floor time. I hit the gym or practice at least an hour everyday that there is no class, practice on my lunch break sometimes. and randomly work on something throughout the day... until someone notices :P

My weekend is break time so usually just a walk, or light kata practice.

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com

I train twice a week for two hours on Tuesday and Friday nights. I'd like to train more often but being new to karate I only want to train outside the dojo when I am happy with the techniques I have developed as the last thing I want to do is learn bad habits at this early stage.

I'm itching to practice on my own but I figure that waiting until I have some techniques perfected is the way to go. I'm not in any hurry, my plan is to incorporate karate smoothly into my life and I cannot see my wife being happy if I was at the dojo more than two nights a week.

As the old saying goes, "Happy wife, happy life". :lol:

"You must first have the knowledge of your power, second, the courage to dare, third, the faith to do."

Charles Haneel, Master Key System, 1912.