• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weird Gi issue

I lent someone my gi for a class and upon laundering it seemed to have some staining that looks like dirt. he rewashed it and it almost seemed to get worse - i washed it- doesnt seem worse but not better. odd - anyone see this?

ideas?

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Recently I washed a brand new pair of sweatpants that have some zigzag designs on them. I didn't realize until I washed and dried my gi that the designs on my sweatpants had actually burnt off and stained the inside of the dryer. My gi now has random, thankfully barely noticeable black patches in the corners and seams. Perhaps something similar in your situation? Check the inside of the washing machine and dryer that was used. Hopefully you can figure out the problem.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

I'm hoping not to use bleach- I like the gi and don't want to mess it up.

I washed it again- it's a bit better I think - just very weird, seemed to get worse for him with each wash.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

As Kanku65 said, there is probably dye trapped in the other person's washing machine. The only thing you can really do is keep washing it in your machine, and hope for the best. Bleach is a last resort, since it weakens fabric. I had to spot-bleach a blood stain a few months ago, and that spot has already become a thumb-sized hole.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

We tend to use "Wipe Out Stain Remover" for the odd weird stains that appear on my Gi.

Saying that, I'm not sure what it's made from, but it hasn't affected my Gi in anyway :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

I had to spot-bleach a blood stain a few months ago, and that spot has already become a thumb-sized hole.

Tip: hydrogen peroxide gets blood out of white uniforms

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I got pine sap (at least I think that's what it was) on my gi last Halloween night when I wore it hanging out in a graveyard in Salem, MA (awesome story). Must have picked up some kind of a curse as well as a stain because no matter how many times I've washed it, oxycleaned it, spot treated it, even bleached it a few times-- the stain hasn't even faded in an entire year.

It's not that big a deal-- more an annoyance than anything else. And I plan on buying a new one when I test for Shodan sometime next year, so I'm not too worried about it.

It might be worth the trip to your local cleaner. They might be able to help you because of their experience and the type of cleaning agents they have access of, that you and I can't get.

Sorry to hear of your mishap...hopefully, you'll resolve this to your favor!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!