• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Never doubt your impact on people's lives

All,

I'm not an instructor, just a student. Today our dojo lost its assistant instructor. Please know that as martial arts instructors that you touch and change your students lives everyday and class. Take care and live life like there might not be a tomorrow.

CD :cry:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My condolences. I know the feeling all to well.

I had an older Sensei pass away last year, was a very humble old man, war vet... and had amazing stories from his youth, which I'm one of the few who will ever know, not even his family knows some I do.

I gave him rides to and from the club, and a few other places when he asked. So we got to have many candid conversations about the martial arts, my club, and style. I could ask him anything rank meant nothing... I was told to "drop" the formalities when it was just us. He gave advice, always offered to pay for gear and things (which I never allowed), and overall was a huge supporter of my training.

It's a shame he never got to see me make black-belt, But when I do... I'll always remember he was a big part of it. But I must say I miss the candid conversations.

So yes, You never know if there will be a tomorrow... But both instructors and students touch and change each others lives everyday. The Dojo and club is like a second family. as you said take care and live life like there might not be a tomorrow.

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com

I still remember my very first sensei who introduced me to karate when I was just a bratty kid. I learned from him until I left for school but he taught me the value of peseverance in practise.

My second teacher taught me for 5 years and was a shining example of a tireless, humble and kind teacher always ready to share his skills to anyone reay to learn.

My present teacher terrifies me with his skills in karate. He has an amazing depth of knowledge and experience.

If I can be just a little bit like all three of them, then maybe I could be considered a worthy student and a decent teacher.

I'm sorry for your loss--it can be hard to cope with losing someone who was influential to you

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Sorry for your loss, CDraper. Thank you for the reminder you shared here. Death is always a reminder for me, to appreciate what we have and to live in the moment.

Patrick