• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Stretching daily?

zoomzoom

Hi

I've been wondering about how often do you stretch? Is daily stretching of the major muscles too often, are you more likely to get an injury?

I'm a little confused as some people say you should stretch every day and others say you should stretch every couple of days.

Interested to hear your experiences.

Thanks

Zahoor

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There is so much different and conflicting information in relation to stretching. If you search the internet you’ll find a variety of opinions starting with, You should always stretch before exercise, you shouldn’t stretch before exercise, you should only do dynamic stretching before exercise, you should do your static stretching after your training, you should only stretch warm, you can’t make physiological changes to your muscle length if you stretch warm, you don’t need to stretch at all…………………………………….

Very few genuine studies have been done so most is opinion. I found this article recently which does report on a study

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/how-often-do-i-need-to-stretch

A quick extract from the article;

The groups varied in terms of frequency and total time stretching:

• Group one - stretched daily, 2x/day, for 14 minutes total per week.

• Group two - stretched 1x/day, for a total of 7 minutes per week.

• Group three - stretched 3-4 days per week, 2x/day, for a total of 6-8 minutes per week.

• Group four - stretched 3-4 days a week, 1x/day, for a total of 3-4 min per week.

• Control group - did not perform any stretching.

The results of the study revealed there were no significant differences in the rate of grain or loss of hamstring flexibility between the different stretching protocols. All of the stretching groups gained range of motion in the hip when comparing pre-study measurement to measurements taken on week 4. Those who stretched at least 6 times per week gained more than those who stretched 3 times per week - a 24% gain versus a 16.8% gain.3

To me a 24% gain is a significant difference to a 16.8% gain so based on the study anyway 6 times a week is better than 3 times a week.

I personally do some form of stretching most days but I base it very much on how my body is feeling

Stretching every day is the only way to maintain an increase flexibility as well as for preventing injuries. This is more important when you are older than 20 years old.

If you stretch past your comfort point and do nothing the next day, you will feel even stiffer than before when you try it again a day later. The body naturally returns to its original state. Becoming more flexible requires conscious sustained efforts and daily stretching maintains the gains. Without daily stretching, felexibilty is not maintained.

Someone at my dojo asked a very similar question. This man was I his mid thirties and not very flexible. He only did stretching in the dojo and was often in pain often. After he started stretching daily he finally got rid of the pain and stiffness.

Just take it easy and slowly day by day doing a little more.

@wayneshin

Many Thanks for sharing your thoughts and that excellent article.

Yes there is much noise about stretching hence the confusion.

As the article suggests stretching more frequently is the way to go, with an 8% difference between 3 and 6 times a week.

Interestingly the article also suggests training more than once a day.

@Spartacus Maximus

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Now as I am in my forties it is getting much harder to maintain flexibility and I'm feeling stiff most of the time, especially the days after a karate class!

For now, I'm going to go with daily stretching first thing in the morning and see how it goes. If feeling up to it, I'll stretch in the evening.

Z

I think daily stretching, even if its light stretching, is good for the body. That said, I don't stretch nearly that much, but I should. Perhaps I will get more to it now.

Thanks for the article info wayneshin. Very good to see some numbers to it.