• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

##

Shojiko

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First, Welcome to Karate Fourms :)

Now, as for the question. My opinion is there is nothing wrong with seeking knowledge from sources outside of what your instructor teaches. Books and video are excellent sources for inspiration for strategy and tactics that will work for you.

But keep in mind what you see and read are not necessarily going to be the same if you instructor later covers the material. Always attend class with you mind open for changes.

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com

First of all, welcome to the forum!

For a while, it would be best to just do what your Sensei tells you. That's because you need to develop a strong base in Shotokan before you start branching out and pulling information from other sources. If you start trying to implement things from your own research, now, you may do it incorrectly.

Definitely stock up on the books and other research material, though! It will be very helpful to you later on!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I would read mainly Shotokan references. As far as training, it took me a while to transition from Shotokan to Shorin-Ryu, so you may want to just focus on mastering Shotokan first. Then, slowly implement different things into your training.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I also wanted to ask you guys on what your opinion is on the form of arts my school has as a part of their curriculum. The dojo I attend teaches Shotokan and tae kwon do as separate classes but a student may attend either or in case lets say that person cannot make it on a day he usually trains shotokan, that student can attend the Tae Kwon Do class because they both train and look identical(like literally). They just count and and pronounce their forms in the language that art pertains to. I have taking WTF style tae kwon do before when I was younger, seeing this version which one of the black belts told me is pretty much what people refer to as ITF style is wayyy different then what I was familiar with when I was in my teens. Whats your fellas opinion on this? just out of curiousity..

THANKS!!!

Taekwondo is largely based on Shotokan, so there is a great deal of overlap. Normally, the body mechanics are different in TKD than in Shotokan, though, and training both will get you confused and hold you back. It is possible that the TKD instructor at your dojo has changed the way they do things to match Shotokan, though. In that case, it may not be much of an issue.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

First off, welcome to KF! It's great to have you!

I don't think that it is offensive but I would suggest that you slow it down. If you focus on what is in the future you fail to absorb what is in the now. Enjoy practicing and mastering the kata and techniques you are learning now. When the time comes, you will learn the new thing and you will have a deeper understanding of it because you took the time to understand the simpler things. It's like someone attempting to do calculus when they still struggle with algebra.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/