• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Passed 3rd Kyu

So, graded for 3rd Kyu on Sunday. I passed with a 2nd class, which I'm delighted with as it's quite a technical grade and many before me have come away with a 3rd class (including my instructor many years ago) It's by far the best feeling I've had at being told I've passed a grade. But I have to say, it was a different feeling to any other. I think now I've realised becoming a black belt is a very real possibility for me. I've always thought I could but now I'm wearing brown, it feels like it's within touching distance. I don't want to get ahead of myself, I know there is a LONG way to go, but it has sparked something in me, a hunger, a desire to push harder, train harder, to do whatever it takes.

Before it was "I COULD be a black belt" now it's more "I WILL be a black belt"

Some of you may think I'm talking out my backside, I possibly am :D but does this sound familiar to anyone? When did it all just "click" into place and you just knew nothing was going to stop you?

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I felt the same way when I got my Brown belt... it basically made me a senior student. It really made me want a black belt, more then anything else. I trained more, pushed myself harder, attended some hombu dojo classes, all for that black belt.

However I'm now coming to the end of that long road, which is a few short months away... if all goes well. I mean it's a very very real possibility for me now, more then a when then an if.

But oddly I came to the realization about that black belt.. It's not an end it's really just a turn in that road. I no longer desire a black belt the same way I did... no my motivation is now knowledge, and to refine my abilities to become the best karateka I can. regardless of the outcome, I just love the art now :)

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com

Congratulations! I remember failing my test for Sankyu, the first time I took it :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society