• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first and only tournament was last December. I was a blue(fifth of six colored belts) fighting in the 14-16 year old category and the 155-170 weight class. I stepped on the mat for my first round match, bowed to everyone and got ready to fight. Just after the match begun I swung a roundhouse into the pads around my opponent's gut and he collapsed! Apparently I knocked the wind out of him and he didn't want to continue. I thought I was moving to the second round when one of the tournament heads approached me. He said that I was being kicked out for deliberatly injuring someone. My Sensei argued with him for a few minutes but it was useless. :kaioken: I think this is just another example of the softening of Martial Arts that will only give us serious students a bad name. :kaioken:

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky"

-Hendrix

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite frankly, even though i dont enter competitions, saying you cant continue because someone has winded you is PATHETIC. It takes a min or two to recover and then carrying on is no problem. A lot of the time this is due to people trying to remove the competition... it's a shame to think that the martial arts can be corrupted in this way.

I dont think the martial arts is becomming "soft", it's just some poeple are choosing to move away from the old school methods of training, where only light contact is acceptable.

ts757 if its full contact you want you got it.

I will instruct Mr Huton to train you personally.

[ This Message was edited by: karateronin on 2001-08-23 22:42 ]

karateronin is the Chief Instructor of Karate International Black Belt Schools UK.

Ohhhh, no I dont want any full contact, but anyone who wants to back out of a competition because they were winded is really foolish. I get winded on a regular basis by kristina and danielle when sparring with them. I ignore it and carry on to the best of my ability. Saying someone injured you because you were winded is quite unbelievable. I dont like sparring at all, but I do it and have my arse seriously kicked on a regular basis.

I would like to point out that i am personally in favour of moving away from full contact and "old school" styles of teaching. It puts less strain on the NHS.

• 1 month later...

well i also think that dropping out of a competition because your winded is pathtic, if you dont expect to get a little hurt you shouldn't take part. IT'S A MARTIAL ART!!! of course your gonna pick up injuries at some point and i dont hink being winded can even be classed as that! i hurt a lad doing team fighting he was smaller than me and i hurt his arm but he carried on and "beat" me. but not all decisions can go your way or the right way. you have to deal with it and let it go.

i wouldn't mind getting into full contact fighting because it appeals to me. but not to everyone.

my personal view on competitions is:

I LIKE 'EM, I LOVE 'EM, I WANT MORE OF 'EM!

"Sssshhhhhhhh.... i'm sleeping."

Stephen Winter,

7th Kyu, Shotokan Karate

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)

Those are the people I hate. The people who think they can learn martial arts without getting hurt. All they wanna do is Kata, no self defence, no kumite, and in the end they expect to be like Jet Li. That is what is wrong with some Martial Arts, they let anyone in.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

ya i knid of do hate them most of them but in compations i always get nervous and screw up so i mostly do okay instead of good!! :nod:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

It is alright if you screw up. Just as long as you learn from it and adapt from it. Then, screw up all you want. It will only make you better. :up:

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

thanks Karateka for your um........ inthusiaun :smile:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"