• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would you ......?

I'm currently doing two martial arts (TKD and traditional Jujitsu). JJ, I do not want rank in. One, it's hard on my body (I have Fibro). Two, it is mixed in with TKD (just the way my instructor as it set) anyway.

Would any of you do this ... rank in one art, but not the other?

For the record, both my instructors don't mind at all.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I see the belt as a teacher's assistant; it lets the instructor know where you are, and where you need to be going. I would grade in both; if I was learning the syllabus and grading material. It is a process being followed; that I either invest in fully, or do not.

Now; if you are just cross training, and one of the arts is being catered uniquely to what you need to add to your arsenal, then you need not grade as grades are redundant in such a situation.

It depends on what you are being taught; if it's to a syllabus in both, then grade in both. If one is not syllabus based then it is not needed as it becomes a redundancy as a tool.

R. Keith Williams

Both of the MAs I'm taking are at the same dojo and taught by a husband and wife team. My TKD instructor is on here (ninjanurse). And her husband teaches jj. Ninjanurse and l also take jj together. Very unique situation but it works fine for them and me. I just wanted to know if KF folks would do it if it were in different dojos.

Laurie F

My karate instructor also teaches a family style of Japanese jujutsu, which he has blended a bit with his other grappling experiences. I help teach the grappling classes--there is a lot of carry-over from my judo, as well as the tuidi of our karate style--but I have no serious interest in testing for rank in Japanese jujutsu. He also teaches kobudo, and I'm not interested in testing for rank in that, either. Training is good, though!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

If either of the instructors are ok with it, then, go for it!!

:)

Yes. It's your choice. I'd personally rank in both BUT that's what I'd do. What you want to do is entirely cool based on what you want out of things. As long as the instructors are good, have at it.

If it's hard on your body, why are you doing it? Doesn't seem to make sense. It sounds like what you're really asking is if you should train just TKD and dabble in JJ sometimes. That's different than training JJ.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."