• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help with a training plan?

So I love both Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu and Gracie Jiu Jitsu. There's a gym near me that teaches TaiJitsu Karate (no kata, all Kumite practice) and Jiu Jitsu. My Sensei of Shorin Ryu lives in another state, so testing with him is rare and I have to practice by myself. My plan, when I get through usmc boot camp and mtb was to sign up at this place, continue jiu Jitsu and practice shorin ryu on my own with testing every year or two. However, I love stand up fighting as well. I'm wondering if I sign up for the Taijitsu as well, would it effect my shorin ryu at all? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I personally think that if you are at a level where one style is ingrained, cross training will not be detrimental.

I have taken on other styles throughout my martial arts career, and they have made me an all-in-all stronger and more proficient martial artist. Started Kyokushin at age 7, started Judo at age 16, started Presas Arnis at age 18 and then Muay Thai at age 21.

Is my style completely kyokushin now? No.

Can I still train Kyokushin at the level I am at? My word I can.

If you are confident you can maintain your Shorin Ryu with additional training in Taijutsu then i say go for it.

However - if you are not at a level where you are proficient at one art, then multiple arts can make a mess of things.

I think of it like anything else. Take painting. If you practice acrylic style painting but don't become great at it, then also take up watercolour, there is more of a chance of becoming average at both and a master of none.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I personally think that if you are at a level where one style is ingrained, cross training will not be detrimental.

I have taken on other styles throughout my martial arts career, and they have made me an all-in-all stronger and more proficient martial artist. Started Kyokushin at age 7, started Judo at age 16, started Presas Arnis at age 18 and then Muay Thai at age 21.

Is my style completely kyokushin now? No.

Can I still train Kyokushin at the level I am at? My word I can.

If you are confident you can maintain your Shorin Ryu with additional training in Taijutsu then i say go for it.

However - if you are not at a level where you are proficient at one art, then multiple arts can make a mess of things.

I think of it like anything else. Take painting. If you practice acrylic style painting but don't become great at it, then also take up watercolour, there is more of a chance of becoming average at both and a master of none.

Solid post, especially the bold type above!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I agree with yamesu. I think you probably be just fine. Keep up with your solo practice of your Shorin Ryu, and you should be fine.

It sounds like you have a plan, which is the most important thing.

Yes, cross training in various styles is a good thing, it keeps you sharp and you can experience different aspects and mind sets of the martial arts.

One worry. The style you mentioned "Tai Jitsu Karate?" I'm sorry, but there is no such style. Tai Jitsu is the Combat style of Ninjitsu, it is similar to Ju Jitsu or Aiki Jitsu but has nothing to do with Karate. Of course Karate is our favorite Okinawan defense art. Someone has put these terms together to describe what may be a great system, but it sounds like their own. You say it is only kumite based, therefore, by definition, it is not karate. Then again, if everyone enjoys it, you can call it what you like.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Yes, cross training in various styles is a good thing, it keeps you sharp and you can experience different aspects and mind sets of the martial arts.

One worry. The style you mentioned "Tai Jitsu Karate?" I'm sorry, but there is no such style. Tai Jitsu is the Combat style of Ninjitsu, it is similar to Ju Jitsu or Aiki Jitsu but has nothing to do with Karate. Of course Karate is our favorite Okinawan defense art. Someone has put these terms together to describe what may be a great system, but it sounds like their own. You say it is only kumite based, therefore, by definition, it is not karate. Then again, if everyone enjoys it, you can call it what you like.

Solid Post.

Considering Tai Jitsu is basically hand to hand combat and Karate is empty hand. So it is going hand to hand combat empty hand.

Taijitsu as you said Harkon72 is right about being a sub-style of Ninjutsu.

Harkon72, this is the dojos website along with their karate curriculum. I've come to understand that in today's society, people will categorize anything with punches and kicks as karate. Thanks for pointing that out to me!

http://www.steelcitymartialarts.com/curriculum.html

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

I can see that it is a modern mixed style of martial art. In English, Tai Jitsu means "Body Art", "Art" meaning ways of moving the body for defense. In classical Ninpo, which is Japanese, Tai Jitsu teaches several kata and forms. It is recognizable as Tai Jutsu. It is rarely taught as a separate art from Ninpo or Ninjitsu. Some Japanese schools call themselves Tai Jitsu dojos, and if you use the term "Kempo Tai Jitsu" as a name for a style, then, yes it would be the "body art of Kempo" by definition. Then again, using is in tandem with the term "Karate" doesn't quite fit as they are derived from different traditions. I hope this makes sense. If you find that you enjoy this style, effective or not, it will have some value. But I doubt if you can take it to other karate schools, as they would not appreciate it as a style in the same way.

Look to the far mountain and see all.