• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Competitions: Do They Build Falsehoods?!

There are lots of things that can create falsehoods in the MAs. One-steps can do it, if they are not taught properly.

Couldn't agree more.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are lots of things that can create falsehoods in the MAs. One-steps can do it, if they are not taught properly.

Couldn't agree more.

We do one-steps in our TKD training, and they are referred to as our "self-defense techniques." They could be, if they evolved from the simple format that we use to do them. One-steps can be a great training tool, but they have to be done right, and they have grow, I believe, and eventually, become more interactive than a down block, step forward and punch, let the defender to the defense, and that's it.

We do one-steps in our TKD training, and they are referred to as our "self-defense techniques." They could be, if they evolved from the simple format that we use to do them. One-steps can be a great training tool, but they have to be done right, and they have grow, I believe, and eventually, become more interactive than a down block, step forward and punch, let the defender to the defense, and that's it.

For curriculum 6kyu and 5kyu do basic 1 step. Step back once, block, and reverse punch. At 4kyu, students are expected to use more advanced blocking techniques and more than 1 strike in the counter attack. During advance class we normally do more self defense based 1 step for all levels, but not all students stay for that class sadly. Mostly adults who are serious about training. It's sad to see some students skate by with just the bare minimum, but if they stick with it they'll eventually have to learn.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

For curriculum 6kyu and 5kyu do basic 1 step. Step back once, block, and reverse punch. At 4kyu, students are expected to use more advanced blocking techniques and more than 1 strike in the counter attack. During advance class we normally do more self defense based 1 step for all levels, but not all students stay for that class sadly. Mostly adults who are serious about training. It's sad to see some students skate by with just the bare minimum, but if they stick with it they'll eventually have to learn.

Truer words have never been more spoken; SOLID!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 year later...

Tournaments are always full of surprises good and bad. Take'm for the experience value. There will certainly be moments to remember. I value my experiences with them; some of the most exciting times of my life was competing. Full contact. Light contact. TKD and Mixed tournaments; never entered my mind about building falsehood. Chalk them up to getting more experienced in martial arts, including the winning and loosing aspects.

If you don't compete you will never loose! That could be a falsehood.

Tournaments are always full of surprises good and bad. Take'm for the experience value. There will certainly be moments to remember. I value my experiences with them; some of the most exciting times of my life was competing. Full contact. Light contact. TKD and Mixed tournaments; never entered my mind about building falsehood. Chalk them up to getting more experienced in martial arts, including the winning and loosing aspects.

If you don't compete you will never loose! That could be a falsehood.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I've posted thsi story before on this forum (can't remembert where though lol) about a 18 year old TKD black belt by the name of Brandon Bennet..

Brandon was the #1 ranked BB sparring champion in the Northwestern US at the time (WA, MT, OR, ID..maybe more) He was tall, fast, accurate and had really good sparring skills....and still in high school!!!

On the last day of school his senior year, he accepted a challenge from another 18 year old kid that had been bugging him for YEARS to fight him. The other kid had 1 YEAR of boxing, Brandon had been training for at least 8 years in TKD!

They met in an alley off the school grounds and had their fight. From what Brandon told me, he never laid a hand on the other kid, and ended up with 2 black eyes, bloody nose and split lip before he conceeded the fight.

The next day he went to his dojo, dropped his black belt on the dojo floor in front of his instructor and said "I quit", and has, as far as I know, never touched the arts again.

Moral of the story is this..just because you can win trophies in a tournament doesn't man you can protect yourself in a real fight.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I've posted thsi story before on this forum (can't remembert where though lol) about a 18 year old TKD black belt by the name of Brandon Bennet..

Brandon was the #1 ranked BB sparring champion in the Northwestern US at the time (WA, MT, OR, ID..maybe more) He was tall, fast, accurate and had really good sparring skills....and still in high school!!!

On the last day of school his senior year, he accepted a challenge from another 18 year old kid that had been bugging him for YEARS to fight him. The other kid had 1 YEAR of boxing, Brandon had been training for at least 8 years in TKD!

They met in an alley off the school grounds and had their fight. From what Brandon told me, he never laid a hand on the other kid, and ended up with 2 black eyes, bloody nose and split lip before he conceeded the fight.

The next day he went to his dojo, dropped his black belt on the dojo floor in front of his instructor and said "I quit", and has, as far as I know, never touched the arts again.

Moral of the story is this..just because you can win trophies in a tournament doesn't man you can protect yourself in a real fight.

So do you know with this story if the TKD person used kicks? Or did they both decide to use punches. Because if so, then clearly the boxer would have the advantage.

Teachers are always learning

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is unfortunate for him, but competing a lot does give many people overconfidence as is the case for that young man.

I have fought against several TKD practitioners in the last couple of years that either compete or don't and have struggled greatly when I got in close and closed the gap.

From memory old-school TKD still had its fair share of hand strikes, but not so much these days.

Personally I do compete because it helps me get outside of my comfort zone, but I still take it with a grain of salt knowing that in a realistic situation it will be a whole lot worse.