• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would this be going over the top at grading?

Greetings,

This coming Sunday I will be grading for my orange belt, currently I am a yellow belt. I'm confident that I can attain orange belt however I am really hoping to double grade to green-white stripe belt. (Our school goes white > yellow > orange > green > blue > brown > black, with white stripes in between.)

I have been training about 11 months and have only been to one grading (I started training right after a grading and there was a long gap until the next) and attend the intermediate classes as well as beginner classes and a weekly personal lesson with my Kyoshi.

I shared my thoughts of double grading with my father-in-law who is a 3rd Dan in Zen Do Kai (and dabbled in many other MAs as well) and his advice to show I was keen was to add take downs to my self-defense demos instead of just doing the self-defense demos to the point we are shown at the dojo (which at our rank usually doesn't include take downs.)

I'm just wondering if this would be considered over the top? I'm sure some of the posters on this forum have been on a grading panel so I was hoping to get their perspective on what they think would be more appropriate.

Would it be better to add the take down and show I have sought extra training or would it be better to stop at the point I've been shown in my dojo?

Thanks for your time & replies in advance! :karate:

*Edit: cuz me spull relly gud

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember that rank is a designation showing where you are in learning *that particular dojo's* curriculum. If you change styles or sometimes even transfer dojos within the same style but in a different organization your rank often times doesn't go with you, because you don't know *that school's* way of doing things. If you learned the orange belt material from your dojo, ask to demonstrate it (I would definitely ask first rather than just doing it), but demonstrating moves not from that school probably won't help you and may even reflect poorly and come off as reckless (as a spectator I'd be worried for the uke's safety-- being taken down by someone who you're not sure has been taught to do so safely can be terrifying).

As an instructor; at the grade you are discussing, I would be looking for the ability to produce what is asked for. I would not be wanting to be too much inventiveness just yet; for the sake of safety, and for the fact I am trying to gauge your initial development.

Rather than asking the forum; ask your sensei. He is the only one who will know exactly what he wants to see. If you are confident you can double grade, state this to your instructor, and ask if you can make the attempt. Some will say no just because you asked.

However, it is better to take the gamble with that conversation; than it is on the grading with another person's safety.

R. Keith Williams

If there are set self-defence techniques I've taught, and some of these are required at a specific grading, I'd like to see the ones I asked for, not others.

However, I do always ask my students at the grading if they know anything higher (kata, kumite, goshin-waza etc) as I believe grade just shows where you're at in the syllabus so if you know more, you get more.

Are takedowns part of your syllabus for your green/white belt? I think ask your sensei.

p.s. I assume you train with Mr Mark Greville of Shorinkan Australia? I've trained with one of his students at my dojo. Good luck on your journey.

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

Personally I tend to go with the "empty cup theory" and expect my students to do the same. Asking, requesting, or suggesting a double grading would be met with no grading. Your instructor will know when you are ready for rank-and it will most likely not be based on knowing material ahead of your grade.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

First off, welcome to KF!!! Glad you are here! :)

Personally I tend to go with the "empty cup theory" and expect my students to do the same. Asking, requesting, or suggesting a double grading would be met with no grading. Your instructor will know when you are ready for rank-and it will most likely not be based on knowing material ahead of your grade.

8)

And from:

If there are set self-defence techniques I've taught, and some of these are required at a specific grading, I'd like to see the ones I asked for, not others.

However, I do always ask my students at the grading if they know anything higher (kata, kumite, goshin-waza etc) as I believe grade just shows where you're at in the syllabus so if you know more, you get more.

Are takedowns part of your syllabus for your green/white belt? I think ask your sensei.

Great posts... :) Ninjanurse is spot on with what most instructors expect and how they operate. Also, like RJC mentions, when an instructor asks to see benchmark techniques on a test/grading that are part of the curriculum, s/he won't like it much if you give them something else. However, if an instructor asks you to perform any extra-curricular techniques (not necessarily those outside the curriculum, just those not required for you at your level on your test), that's when you'll have the opportunity to show any bonus material you have.

Back to what ninjanurse said; if you try to "prove what you know" on a test/grading, most instructors won't like it. If you perform what they ask, they will like it. If you perform what they ask well, then you might even pass... ;)

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Rank isn't the purpose of any testing cycle, or it shouldn't be, imho!! Stick to the grading syllabus, and don't venture away from it at all WITHOUT the distinctive approval of the CI!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I'm very grateful for the helpful posts. I'll stick with demonstration to the point we are taught for that rank. I don't think I will ask my Sensei about double grading though, it usually comes as a surprise at grading if you performed very well and I think asking/expecting it will come off as arrogant.

Again thanks for the posts, they were very insightful.

p.s. I assume you train with Mr Mark Greville of Shorinkan Australia? I've trained with one of his students at my dojo. Good luck on your journey.

I train under Clint Chaffey of Shorikan Karate-Do, out in the paddocks of NSW. (http://www.shorikan.com.au)

The point is, at your rank you are not expected to look to be creative with your karate. You should use what you have been taught by your present teacher. That is what your kihon and kata are for. It matters not what else you know, keep it for when you can express it within this style, you will learn how to adapt and apply later. Some teachers can be really offended and feel that you are not respectful of their teaching if you include your variations on technique. One reason is safety, another is integrity. I have fallen foul of this temptation myself. In June this year I joined an Aikido club. After 25+ years in karate, this was a new start and a challenge. In free Randori, I found myself reverting to old techniques that my present Sensei not only had not taught us, but they were contrary to the principals of Aikido. They may be valid, but my fellow students did not appreciate them and it was made clear that to perform them was not only rude but dangerous. It has been a swift learning curve, having an edge is good; but keep the respect for the art and those around you.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I like that you are enthusiastic and want to double grade, but maybe wait till your a little bit more advanced and technical with everything. And also stick to the curriculum for now.

Since you are still relatively I don't advise to do takedowns just yet. Especially if you haven't been shown how to do it safely.

So don't try and alter what is expected of you just yet.

Throughout the years of training it starts of as rigid in terms of variation and once you are more experienced and higher up it is more flexible.

Even though I am one of the most senior people at my school, I may perform techniques that are outside of the style but my sensei allows it because of the fact that I have knowledge in how to apply those moves (+ safely). But I restrict it depending on who i am with.

At my school our senior students 1st Kyu and above) have more flexibility and add a part of themselves into their training as part of curriculum for their own gradings.