• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Being both a student and a teacher

So I was wondering...for those who are teachers of a particular style, how do you go about teaching your art in your school, and continuing to learn and advance in your own personal growth? Here's my situation.

I've contemplated starting a martial arts club, something semi formal, but completely free where like minded stylest come to spar and exchange knowledge. This would essentially be my first step to becoming a teacher in muay thai one day.

Meanwhile though, I still want to continue learning thai boxing under my instructor, but i'm afraid this would be a conflict of interest upon his part, and I don't wanna step on his toes/ barred from the gym....but at the same time, i'm not trying to make money of his knowledge...idk.

Thoughts and advice?

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have been in a similar situation; while I was in university I ran a karate society, which was basically just a group for any one practicing karate to come together, train, and share knowledge.

I also have private students; that I taught in my garden. Some of them were fellow students under my teacher, who simply wanted extra training, while others were solely my own and thus were taught my own approach.

I did not hide that I did this from my teacher; but out of deferment the society held it's meetings in a different town, and I would turn any of our shared students away if I failed to see them at my teachers lesson (Unless they had an acceptable reason). Really; the respect that is due is best reflected in not becoming competition. If you do that; I can see no problems.

The way I see it; at the end of the day I paid to attend lessons, and I put the hard work into learning and remembering what was taught. If I am competent, and wish to teach; it is my knowledge to share. If you wish to share it; then it is your choice, and has little to do with your teacher. That is; presuming you are competent, have been acknowledged as such, and do not plan to use the same space as them.

Teaching, like competition, is the next step in ones growth as it introduces a new adversity. It is something that all should try at some point. Really; if your teacher would think of someone they taught teaching as stepping on their toes; I have to ask why they are a teacher in the first place.

R. Keith Williams

Interesting concept you're entertaining. While learning, you open up a "school" for the purpose of getting like minded practitioners to exchange with one another; teaching each other. You and others will have many "Aha" moments, and that's a good thing.

If you need certification to teach in your current art, you need to get that first, imho, before you can begin to "teach" others. However, exchanging ideas while on the floor is a form of teaching others and yourself without having to earn a teaching certificate from your governing body.

Remember, in the USA, you don't have to have a teaching certification to teach others the MA. A white belt can open a school of the MA and teach, or do what you seem to be gearing for. Now, if you want to teach, most consumers/students want you to show them, on some paper, that you're certified to teach what your teaching, otherwise, you'll not have many students. Students are picky in that area, and I don't blame them at all.

Your concept, as I'm understanding it, is quite cool. Get with your instructor, and see he/she has to say about your idea. He/She will probably go for it, and help you with things that you'll need, if they don't see you as a direct threat to his/her bottom line.

So I was wondering...for those who are teachers of a particular style, how do you go about teaching your art in your school, and continuing to learn and advance in your own personal growth?

I've no formal instructor to teach me within the Shindokan circle, and that's because both our Soke and Dai-Soke has passed away; therefore, within the circle, I depend on the student body to help me find new "Aha" moments, and in that, us Senior Dans are trying to find things within our Densho scrolls that might be something that Soke and Dai-Soke hasn't taught us yet.

How I teach Shindokan, is how I've always done...one student at a time, and in that, I rely on our curriculum/syllabus and from things that I've learnt and adopted to be effective for Shindokan no matter the source.

I like your concept, good luck with it!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I know this isn't exactly the same of what your doing, but I teach at my sensei's dojo and i still train.

Maybe ask your instructor to let you teach something first every week so you can get that experience teaching first.

Speak to your instructor about this. If you don't want to step on his/her toes then either really start your school not so close to his gym. Or run it outside of when he is running his classes.

But the issue i see is that you said that you are going to running it for free. Then you will need to be prepared to pay a lot for equipment, rent and various other points. So you will need to charge a fee for people to train.

All the knowledge he has passed onto you at this point he would want you to spread as well. That is how Martial Arts spread and grow. So there is no conflict of it.

The only way to teach and be student is to get your teacher's approval and permission to teach what you have learned. Obviously it is necessary to have reached a certain level of proficiency before considering this.

If you do get your teacher's approval, take it a step further and make sure to get him involved in your teaching. Ask for his input on how to teach or explain key concepts. Consult him whenever you have to answer questions from your own students. Organize training sessions with your group and his.

If you can do any of those, everyone will benefit and your teacher will appreciate your efforts to pass on what he is teaching you.

• 2 weeks later...

well 1st ask your Instructor if he will let ya teach and make sure you have enough knowledge on what ya doing because you might teach kids or adult depending and you have to explain on how to do the technique right

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

If you are truly concerned about how your instructor feels about this, then talk to him about it, first. Tell him that you just want to get together with others and learn, and that's your plan. See what he says. Seeing as you are basically just doing an open sparring session, it likely won't be a big deal.

• 2 weeks later...
So I was wondering...for those who are teachers of a particular style, how do you go about teaching your art in your school, and continuing to learn and advance in your own personal growth? Here's my situation.

I've contemplated starting a martial arts club, something semi formal, but completely free where like minded stylest come to spar and exchange knowledge. This would essentially be my first step to becoming a teacher in muay thai one day.

Meanwhile though, I still want to continue learning thai boxing under my instructor, but i'm afraid this would be a conflict of interest upon his part, and I don't wanna step on his toes/ barred from the gym....but at the same time, i'm not trying to make money of his knowledge...idk.

Thoughts and advice?

Greetings!

I think this is fairly simple- just make sure you're not opening up shop within 20 miles of his place. This is the norm in anything jiu jitsu or mma related. Eventually we all have to make a living and some of us teach to do it.

Talk to your coach- he may even help you. If you open up shop there could be incentive for him to give seminars (so he can make cash for himself and get new student exposure for yourself.)

The only way to teach and be student is to get your teacher's approval and permission to teach what you have learned. Obviously it is necessary to have reached a certain level of proficiency before considering this.

If you do get your teacher's approval, take it a step further and make sure to get him involved in your teaching. Ask for his input on how to teach or explain key concepts. Consult him whenever you have to answer questions from your own students. Organize training sessions with your group and his.

If you can do any of those, everyone will benefit and your teacher will appreciate your efforts to pass on what he is teaching you.

Solid advice here! Honor your teacher by maintaining integrity-always.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/