• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Back from WKU World Championships

skullsplitter

We spent last week in London as my son competed in the WKU Worlds. Sorry to say that he did not medal, but came close a few times. I honestly expected him to be crushed after eliminations, but he was on the mats after each days events watching video, working on what he can do better, and working on some of what he saw others doing, already with an eye on next year.

As a parent and spectator, this was a huge change from what we are used to in NASKA and regional events here in the US. Judges professionally dressed. Coaches had to be in team uniform. Parents not allowed on the floor. 5 judges around the ring for forms vs 3 judges all sitting together. Less emphasis on screaming and facial expressions for forms. And the fighting was so intense. Every age group was going at it so hard. No games of tag here. Bloody noses, black eyes, broken jaws, and so on.

Plus the camaraderie of the competitors each day was great to see.

It was a great experience all around!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
We spent last week in London as my son competed in the WKU Worlds. Sorry to say that he did not medal, but came close a few times. I honestly expected him to be crushed after eliminations, but he was on the mats after each days events watching video, working on what he can do better, and working on some of what he saw others doing, already with an eye on next year.

As a parent and spectator, this was a huge change from what we are used to in NASKA and regional events here in the US. Judges professionally dressed. Coaches had to be in team uniform. Parents not allowed on the floor. 5 judges around the ring for forms vs 3 judges all sitting together. Less emphasis on screaming and facial expressions for forms. And the fighting was so intense. Every age group was going at it so hard. No games of tag here. Bloody noses, black eyes, broken jaws, and so on.

who else went? all I heard was Sergio, k-swift and aaron.

Glad to hear that you and your son were at the even!! Glad to know that you support him in the manner that you do, not all parents show that level of involvement.

Sorry to hear that he didn't medal, but the experience will never be forgotten easily. His time to medal will be there, when that time is at hand, and no sooner!!

The environment at these type of events, for me, can be quite magical for all who attend, and not just for the competitors alone.

Thank you for sharing this with us!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

who else went? all I heard was Sergio, k-swift and aaron.

Abia Williams and AJ Jenkins rounded out the mens team. The US had some ladies doing full contact and coninuous, but I did not get their names.

Good luck on hear you had a good time. First time at any event is a bit daunting when you're not entirely sure what to expect. Hopefully it will inspire your son to train harder and get better and hopefully in a few years he'll be on the podium too :)

How did you find London? Will next year's comp be in the same place or a different country?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 1 month later...
Good luck on hear you had a good time. First time at any event is a bit daunting when you're not entirely sure what to expect. Hopefully it will inspire your son to train harder and get better and hopefully in a few years he'll be on the podium too :)

How did you find London? Will next year's comp be in the same place or a different country?

We loved London. The people there were so friendly and interested in why we were visiting. I did find it interesting that often times we'd say we were there for a karate tournament and we'd get puzzled looks. If we then elaborated that kickboxing was also part of the tournament people seemed to connect better with that term. We definitely want to go back when we don't have to worry about getting kids rested and to and from the tournament site.

2015 is in Albir, Spain, a little north of Alicante. 2016 it comes back to the USA. 2017 is rumored for Ireland.