• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Satisfying Moments as an Instructor

As an instructor what are your most satisfying moments as an instructor?

Be it when a student finally understand something that has been annoying them. When a student reaches the rank of black belt, or whatever you find that makes you proud or feel touched.

Now for me I have been teaching for 8 years now, and the most touching moments are when students finally figure out how to perform a technique (or stance) and are able to apply them

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For me, it's when one of my students suddenly realizes the correct application of something that I have shown him/her. The look on their face- wide eyes, smiles, it makes me feel like I've accomplished something.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

Always the "a-ha!" moments!

8)

Yes, because of those aha moments, it's their smiles that accompany those moments: Very satisfying!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

For me, it's when one of my students suddenly realizes the correct application of something that I have shown him/her. The look on their face- wide eyes, smiles, it makes me feel like I've accomplished something.

Again, Yes!! Especially when the student has figured it out on their own...magic. I tingle inside with joy for that student!!

Be it when a student finally understand something that has been annoying them. When a student reaches the rank of black belt, or whatever you find that makes you proud or feel touched.

Now for me I have been teaching for 8 years now, and the most touching moments are when students finally figure out how to perform a technique (or stance) and are able to apply them

When the light finally turns on inside a student head that says..."Wow...I figured it out...yes" and you can see that in their face, and they can't wait to share it with you...a moment that can't ever be replaced!

Btw, excellent thread, thank you for it!!

When the light finally turns on inside a student head that says..."Wow...I figured it out...yes" and you can see that in their face, and they can't wait to share it with you...a moment that can't ever be replaced!

I love those moments. I had it the other day with Suparenpei (the Goju version) with the spin kick (crescent Kick with a spin). And I high fived my instructor cause that one step has really annoyed me.

I love those moments. I had it the other day with Suparenpei (the Goju version) with the spin kick (crescent Kick with a spin). And I high fived my instructor cause that one step has really annoyed me.

Yes!!

The magic thing about the aha moment is that, students don't own the rights to those moments. No. Us instructors STILL have our aha moments from time to time. Some instructors seem to be more guarded to let students see that, but, for me, I don't care who see's my aha moments. Funny thing, not all of my aha moments are MA related.

For example, I put little stick-on signs on each and every door in my dojo...AND...at the Hombu the following...

"PUSH"

And...

"PULL"

On both sides of the door, including double doors. Before I did that, I'd incorrectly open any given door...that can be embarrassing! When I'd get lucky with a given door, you could see it on my face...aha!! But when I put the "push/pull" signs on...well...I went from aha, to, AHA, and I'm sure students could see that written all over my face...and not just at first, but I'm still like that.

I know...Bob the dork!!

Yes!!

The magic thing about the aha moment is that, students don't own the rights to those moments. No. Us instructors STILL have our aha moments from time to time. Some instructors seem to be more guarded to let students see that, but, for me, I don't care who see's my aha moments. Funny thing, not all of my aha moments are MA related.

For example, I put little stick-on signs on each and every door in my dojo...AND...at the Hombu the following...

"PUSH"

And...

"PULL"

On both sides of the door, including double doors. Before I did that, I'd incorrectly open any given door...that can be embarrassing! When I'd get lucky with a given door, you could see it on my face...aha!! But when I put the "push/pull" signs on...well...I went from aha, to, AHA, and I'm sure students could see that written all over my face...and not just at first, but I'm still like that.

I know...Bob the dork!!

My sensei literally went "oh snap hell yeah!

• 4 weeks later...

Had a kid student that was training with me since he was 6, talked a lot but matched the amount of conversation with effort in training.

At age of 7 he told me that when he became older, he wanted to be a taekwondo instructor *. Felt good to hear that from such a young student, not only because I felt my work was appreciated, but also because it seemed to have inspired others.

-----------------------------------------------------------

T. Amaro

My martial arts blog: http://martialarts.telmoamaro.com

(martial arts related articles, ebooks and apps)