• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate classes be too tough

nizleyeen

Is karate too tough for me? i'm 16, overweight and very unfit. I'd like to join my friends in karate classes mainly to learn more discipline. Will karate classes be too tough for me?

arts clan

Edited by nizleyeen

smile because it happened

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is karate too tough for me? i'm 16, overweight and very unfit. I'd like to join my friends in karate classes mainly to learn more discipline. Will karate classes be too tough for me?

Hello and welcome!!!

Karate classes might be too tough - but that's the point in my opinion !!!

As the old saying goes, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And if the instructor is any good he'll push you at a rate that is appropriate for you.

One of the most beautiful aspects of any martial art is personal transformation - and from your post it sounds like transformation is what you seek.

I say go for it !!!

Please report back !!!

:karate:

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

First of all, Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

As you persevere, you'll become more fit, and you'll no longer be tasked on the floor!! Time is always on your side; patience in your training will overcome any obstacle that might stand before you!!

The MA is suppose to be hard; surrender to that, therefore, anything worth achieving is worth the sacrifice on and off the floor. Train hard; the reward will be well worth the efforts.

Good luck with your Karate!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hello and welcome!!!

Karate classes might be too tough - but that's the point in my opinion !!!

As the old saying goes, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And if the instructor is any good he'll push you at a rate that is appropriate for you.

One of the most beautiful aspects of any martial art is personal transformation - and from your post it sounds like transformation is what you seek.

I say go for it !!!

Please report back !!!

And from:

As you persevere, you'll become more fit, and you'll no longer be tasked on the floor!! Time is always on your side; patience in your training will overcome any obstacle that might stand before you!!

The MA is suppose to be hard; surrender to that, therefore, anything worth achieving is worth the sacrifice on and off the floor. Train hard; the reward will be well worth the efforts.

Both posts here are great advice. The more you go to class and the more you train, the better you'll get, and the more used to it you'll get; which, results in you losing weight, getting healthier, getting stronger and developing better muscle tone, etc.

It will be tough, but you can do it!!!

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

yes yes and yes

Stay with it. Consider every drop of sweat an investment in yourself. Soon you will find it getting easier. And one day you will see a new guy join and he will be huffing puffing and you will be striding through.

If it was easy it would be worthless.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Ask to speak with the instructor(s), say you are worried and would like to start gradually, any good club will bring you along at a nice speed and not push too much.

Fitness, strength, agility, speed, power and feeling great will happen, give it time and train well. You have nothing to lose.

Do you know what style of karate your friends do?

It will be tough at first but it gets easier the more you train. I am overweight and 22 so i know how you feel.

Your fitness will improve greatly when you train

Thinking about it is the toughest part. That first step into a Dojo is a brave one. My Sensei says that he always respects anyone who turns up to his classes, he realizes that for most people it is not an easy thing to do. But go, you'll get that urge to join in, and then it takes time. You will try, you will fail many times, then, step by step you will gain confidence in your knew ability. One day you will look at yourself and realize how far you have come. Do it not for others, but for yourself. All it might take is that first step onto the floor.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Solid posts, as well, from CredoTe, cheesefrysamurai, Archimoto, mal103, Nidan Melbourne, and Harkon72!! From these, you should garner something useful.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

OSU!

Talk to the sensei about the concerns you have. The anser should be something like "You don't have to be fit as a start, Karate will make you fit". If it is, then it's probably a decent dojo with a reasonable instructor.

It's never going to be easy, it's not supposed to be. But this can be a source of tremendous joy because we never stop learning.

I'd say just dive in and give your best. Don't compare yourself to others, Karate practice is also about revealing the best YOU can be. And don't get demotivated because the first lessons are tough and you feel you suck at it - it was hard for all of us, and we all sucked in the beginning.

Good luck!

OSU!

Just Karate