• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Matsubayashi kata and feet positioning

scohen.mma

So for Fukyugata Ichi and Ni, I end the Kata with my feet about where they were when I began. For Pinan Shodan, I usually end up a little more to the left. And for Pinan Nidan, I usually end up a little to the right. A fellow Karateka and I were going over Pinan Nidan and he said my feet should be a little more spread apart (bigger steps) when in my natural stance. This did help, but I fear there could be something else, if anyone has any pointers for me? As for Pinan Shodan, I have no clue. Any pointers or suggestions would be awesome!

Thank you.

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In Matsubayashi-ryu, finishing and ending on the same spot is called 'positional coincidence' - the kata are designed to do this, and if you're doing everything correctly (stance wise) you will start/end on same spot.

Firstly, if you haven't already - please ask your sensei, it's the best way. However, kata are a template designed to help your solo practice, and you can reference the kata against Nagamine-sensei's book to ensure you're doing things right.

If your stances are correct (i.e. shank + fist length etc) then what you need to check is you're following the correct embusen and placed the feet correctly.

For Pinan Shodan, I find that when doing the turn with simultaneous kick and block is where people mess up. Also, when doing the first middle block after the last knife-hand block the left foot moves to ensure alignment with the embusen.

I'm not sure why you would end up off on Pinan Nidan other than your stances being off - i.e. longer/wider on one side then the other, as it's a fairly simple kata stance wise.

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

In Matsubayashi-ryu, finishing and ending on the same spot is called 'positional coincidence' - the kata are designed to do this, and if you're doing everything correctly (stance wise) you will start/end on same spot.

Firstly, if you haven't already - please ask your sensei, it's the best way. However, kata are a template designed to help your solo practice, and you can reference the kata against Nagamine-sensei's book to ensure you're doing things right.

If your stances are correct (i.e. shank + fist length etc) then what you need to check is you're following the correct embusen and placed the feet correctly.

For Pinan Shodan, I find that when doing the turn with simultaneous kick and block is where people mess up. Also, when doing the first middle block after the last knife-hand block the left foot moves to ensure alignment with the embusen.

I'm not sure why you would end up off on Pinan Nidan other than your stances being off - i.e. longer/wider on one side then the other, as it's a fairly simple kata stance wise.

Very solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Absolutely... this is great advice. :) I also agree that the #1 spot in Pinan Shodan that people have trouble with is the simultaneous/sequential middle block + front kick + body position + shuto uke. I find that where most of my students goof it up is actually the transition into it from the move before (foot-down cat stance + middle punch). The tanden/body shift and foot placement usually gets skewed, which results in the entire waza becoming skewed and performed incorrectly.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Absolutely... this is great advice. :) I also agree that the #1 spot in Pinan Shodan that people have trouble with is the simultaneous/sequential middle block + front kick + body position + shuto uke. I find that where most of my students goof it up is actually the transition into it from the move before (foot-down cat stance + middle punch). The tanden/body shift and foot placement usually gets skewed, which results in the entire waza becoming skewed and performed incorrectly.

You know, I never really had that trouble, wasn't even aware it caused folks a lot of trouble. I have always seen people struggle to transition from the left side to the right in the opening sequences. Incorrect stepping during the turn throws a lot of people off their initial line when turning.

As to the original question, break down individual stances and work them individually, checking your distance and consistency on each. Doing so will show that there are small variations, perhaps between left and right stances etc. Do them as long "walking" drills.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

You know, I never really had that trouble, wasn't even aware it caused folks a lot of trouble. I have always seen people struggle to transition from the left side to the right in the opening sequences. Incorrect stepping during the turn throws a lot of people off their initial line when turning.

As to the original question, break down individual stances and work them individually, checking your distance and consistency on each. Doing so will show that there are small variations, perhaps between left and right stances etc. Do them as long "walking" drills.

For us, the transition in the opening sequence is probably #2 in terms of trouble for students. I agree with how you described it, though: it's the mawate from the left to the right that throws beginners off.

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

For us, the transition in the opening sequence is probably #2 in terms of trouble for students. I agree with how you described it, though: it's the mawate from the left to the right that throws beginners off.

To the bold type above...it's the turning transitions, imho, that befuddles the beginning student...good call CredoTe.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!