• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

seeking shotokan in Ann Arbor, MI

blueturtle

Hello! I'm wondering if anyone here has any information to share about Shotokan training (for [middle-aged] adults) in Ann Arbor. I'm new to the area and been looking around and there's not a lot of recent, visible information out there. Any tips would be helpful.

I'm open to switching to a different flavor of karate-do if need be---the main thing is to keep training with a fairly dedicated community---so other recommendations welcome.

Thanks so much in advance for sharing info/thoughts on the subject.

(p.s. I know this is the Karate board, but any Ann Arbor taijiquan recommendations also welcome)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Maybe look it up on google is a good idea.

If you can't find a Shotokan dojo (a good one) around the area, find another one that you might meld quite well with.

I mention melding with a dojo (if another style as well) then you will be very happy.

Thanks for replying, Nidan Melbourne. I did of course search the interwebs before posting my question, but, as I said, I turned up very little useful information. I was just hoping someone here might have useful knowledge to share about karate offerings in the area.

First, welcome to KF!!! Glad you decided to share your journey with us! :)

I'm in Ohio where there is a substantial Shorin-Ryu presence. I do know that Michigan has a fairly substantial Shorin-Ryu presence, first as spill-over from Ohio, but grew on its own from there.

If you can't find Shotokan, you'll probably be able to find a Shorin-Ryu school that's similar to what you've trained with in Shotokan. However, pay attention to the branch of Shorin-Ryu, as not all Shorin-Ryu branches translate well with Shotokan. For instance, I practice Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu); because of the nature of my chosen MA, I would not cross-train in Shotokan because of differences in concepts and body movement. But, there are Shorin-Ryu schools that would translate/mix well with Shotokan. You'll just have to try it out and see how well it fits.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Hi Blueturtle!

I knew someone who has a shotokan dojo not to far from Ann Arbor. The instructor is a very kind person with very good technique. His daughter cleanly beat me at collegiate nationals kumite too. I haven't run into their group in a while, but very nice people. I don't have the phone number, but the address is as follows:

JKA Michigan Kushin Kai

25804 Lockmoor Lane

Novi, MI 48374

Chief Instructor Hiroshi Nemoto

Good luck!

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

Hi Blueturtle!

I knew someone who has a shotokan dojo not to far from Ann Arbor. The instructor is a very kind person with very good technique. His daughter cleanly beat me at collegiate nationals kumite too. I haven't run into their group in a while, but very nice people. I don't have the phone number, but the address is as follows:

JKA Michigan Kushin Kai

25804 Lockmoor Lane

Novi, MI 48374

Chief Instructor Hiroshi Nemoto

Good luck!

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

CI Hiroshi Nemoto is a top notch karateka; without blemish, imho!! You'd do yourself a favor to at least check it out!!

Good luck on your search, I hope you fine what you're looking for, karate-do wise!! Please let us know how you're doing!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks, all, for the welcoming and thoughtful replies. And of course the information! I truly appreciate it.

It may take me a while, as I'm still getting settled, but I'm sure I'll find a community to train with.

Wish you best luck in your search for a style and dojo to call home. Please let us know when you do settle down in your new dojo home!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!