• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not enough Plyometrics!

scohen.mma

Hey all, my favorite kind if workouts are Plyometrics. But there's only so many routines I can come up with and I feel like my body adapts to them pretty fast. How do any of the other martial artists out there deal with this? I thought maybe I could write up as many as I can, do one for a few weeks before moving into the next one and then keep rotating through. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What kind of stuff do you already do?

If we're doing plyo it tends to be thinks like box jumps, jumping over obstacles etc. Or jumping the length of the hall: jumping as high as possible, jumping as long, double footed, single legged...

And for arms variations on clapping pushups.

When I get stuck or if I'm trying to mix it up I look at what other sports do and do some of those routines. So I search for basketball plyo routines or gymnastic routines etc. Sometimes yields something a little different that the normal "martial arts " workouts you find on Youtube.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thanks a lot! And What I usually do are Plyometric circuits. For example:

- 20 squat jumps

- 10 Chinups

- 20 vertical jumps

- 10 pike Pushups

- 20 8 count bodybuilders

- 20 Clap Ups

Anything that isn't explosive, I just added to work more muscle groups. I tried making other routines based on the harder/easier variations of each exercise. For example, 2 levels down from this routine, squat jumps would be regular air squats.

Basically, I'm trying to make as many workouts as I can that are similar to this one, but different enough so that I won't just be doing the same thing every time I go to workout! I'd really rather stick to bodyweight exercises for easy access!

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."

To some extent you are only limited by your imagination in how you vary your plyo.

Box jumps are a standard but landing technique is important. If you don't have a box go with broad jumps again focusing on landing technique. (You should be able to find info on YouTube) you can vary these with single leg landings and diagonal jumps with single leg landing.

Two leg hops over multiple hurdles are great (we normally do 4-6hurdles) then you can vary the height and distance apart of the hurdles, alternate high and low, offset them so you go sideways then over the sideways then over. The progress to the same with single leg jumps. If you don't have hurdles use kick shields or sports bags.

Thanks a lot! And What I usually do are Plyometric circuits. For example:

- 20 squat jumps

- 10 Chinups

- 20 vertical jumps

- 10 pike Pushups

- 20 8 count bodybuilders

- 20 Clap Ups

Anything that isn't explosive, I just added to work more muscle groups. I tried making other routines based on the harder/easier variations of each exercise. For example, 2 levels down from this routine, squat jumps would be regular air squats.

Basically, I'm trying to make as many workouts as I can that are similar to this one, but different enough so that I won't just be doing the same thing every time I go to workout! I'd really rather stick to bodyweight exercises for easy access!

In all seriousness have you tried the Insanity DVDs? They are actually really good for this type of stuff and will also give you a lot more exercises to work with. I know they are expensive but maybe you can find a 2nd hand copy.

YouTube really is a great resource for workouts/exercises if you're stuck:

Instead of writing workouts out, why don't you just put all the exercises into a hat and pick out 5 every time you come to workout. Then do circuits of x amount of reps. You should end up with a different work out each time.

DWx that's a great idea with the hat! It's so simple yet so great lol. I feel as though my workouts for the ret of my life will be put together just like that.

Wayneshin, that's very true as well! Just because I jumped real far, it doesn't mean the rep is over. The landing is most definitely just as important.

Thanks for all the help guys

DWx's hat idea for pliometric workout selection = brilliant! :karate:

It's posts like this, as well as many others, that remind me why I love this message board!

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

There are some good books out there with plyometrics programs you should look into. Here are a few I have:

High Powered Plyometrics: http://www.amazon.com/High-Powered-Plyometrics-James-Radcliffe/dp/0880117842/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409004434&sr=8-1&keywords=high+powered+plyometrics

Jumping Into Plyometrics: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Systems-Jumping-Into-Plyometrics/dp/0880118466/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=Jumping+Into+Plyometrics

The last one was available for around $6. Look into some of those, and see if they offer you anything you can use.

DWx that's a great idea with the hat! It's so simple yet so great lol. I feel as though my workouts for the ret of my life will be put together just like that.

Wayneshin, that's very true as well! Just because I jumped real far, it doesn't mean the rep is over. The landing is most definitely just as important.

Thanks for all the help guys

You're welcome. :)

However, not to criticise but although it will give you variety and interest, in terms of progress this might not be the best way to structure your workouts. Whether working with weights or with just bodyweight I think the general consensus that for increased strength you should really have a programme that promotes progression on the exercises you are doing and not just work to add reps and that you should try to be structured with it. So for instance, you would typically try to add weight to a barbell over time or move from pushups through to elevated and then one arm variants.