• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

While on vacation

It really depends on where I'm at in my martial arts at the time and where I'm at physically.

Like ps1 said, if there's no school I don't train.

On the other side, if I'm a bit burnt out I don't train. I take the time and get some distance. I find that this often lets me come back with fresh insight.

However, if I'm not at that point I keep driving on. It just depends.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's cool. I can appreciate that. Have you found schools open to visitors whilst on vacay? :)

Interestingly, I've found places on the BJJ side of things VERY open to having drop ins. A couple of times I've ran across mat fees, but even in these cases it's been pretty to cheap to train for a night or two.

I've had good reception at FMA places as well.

That said, I've had less successful response from karate schools. On more than one occasion I've stopped in or called about dropping in to train and been met with "I'm not sure how that would work out" answers. It made me either want to lie and say I was trying out class or just not go. I laned on just not going.

Luckily, most of my interest have gone to the first two concerns so the problem has taken care of itself for me.

I think that problem in karate circles might ave been aliviated if I had been part of a large national level organization.

God, I love holidays!

I've actually had 3 good ones this year and a 4th coming up in September. Most years I get maaaaaybe one, so this is extra special.

In April I went to Disneyland for my first time. The night we arrived I went downstairs and checked out the gym out hotel offered. It was nice. Clean, and plenty of equipment. My initial thoughts were "alright, I'll put that to good use!"

Yeah, no. After walking, standing in line, spinning, tipping and diving for 10 hours a day, 5 days in a row, there was no way I was hitting the gym. 3/5 mornings I started with 30 knuckle push-ups and 20 front kicks each leg.

In June I participated in Tough Mudder. The week leading up to the event I challenged myself by doing the Grouse Grind (a challenging hike) going to the gym once to test my cardio, and I took a BJJ class (mostly because I was looking to try a new martial art) all alongside my regular 2 nights a week of karate dojo training.

My most recent holiday, my girlfriend and I went camping. Did a couple nice scenic hikes, nothing too gruelling. I also contemplated practicing kata after dark, but decided not to. :(

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

In the summers, I work in the tropics with a field crew. It can be challenging for me to train, as none of them train MA and they're usually exhausted from all of the lifting and hiking we have to do. So I'm pretty much on my own. I like to take time in the morning when my assistants are sleeping to do kata by myself, and kihon as well, but it's not the same as having a partner to train with.

Although, in terms of conditioning I'm usually better off when I come home. For recreation this year I climbed 50+ foot trees and a couple of volcanoes, so that's a pretty good workout on top of every day physical stuff, on a mostly vegetarian diet (since the meat store is an extra hour hike away)

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

You're on vacation...

While you're sitting at pool side, soaking up the rays, and downing your favorite beverage, a shadow casts over you...you open your eyes, and who stands right before you...

The Sensei's Sensei!! You acknowledge him/her! Then he/she invites you to tomorrow's seminar, that he/she's hosting in your hotel or nearby local dojo.

What do you do?

If you decide to go, how do you go? How do you tell your spouse/girl boy friend? Or do you lie, so you can go?

OR...

Same scenario, but this time it's not your Sensei's Sensei, it's...

One of your most MA hero...EVER!!

Same questions apply.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Daily I try to find a private place/time for a few mins of Kata. if i can exercise a few days that is great too (like go for a jog, do some push-ups, situps etc). My 6 yr old son and I have ever done push-ups and situps on my iphone app waiting while on vacation .... others can stare all they want, we have fun with and laugh and challenge each other (my 6 yr old can do more push-ups than me).

You're on vacation...

While you're sitting at pool side, soaking up the rays, and downing your favorite beverage, a shadow casts over you...you open your eyes, and who stands right before you...

The Sensei's Sensei!! You acknowledge him/her! Then he/she invites you to tomorrow's seminar, that he/she's hosting in your hotel or nearby local dojo.

What do you do?

If you decide to go, how do you go? How do you tell your spouse/girl boy friend? Or do you lie, so you can go?

OR...

Same scenario, but this time it's not your Sensei's Sensei, it's...

One of your most MA hero...EVER!!

Same questions apply.

:)

Haha!

I beg my wife permission to go

I promise to make it up to her

Naturally she say yes

I go

Then I make it up to her tenfold !!! :)

What do you do?!?

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

What do I do?

No matter how much I want to...I'd decline either invitation because I love my wife unconditionally and my obligations to my wife supersede anything and everything...then I'd find a quiet room away from my wife and scream out in frustration...into a pillow.

Besides, remember the look that only a wife can give? Yeah, that one! She'd KILL ME :dead: ...yeah...she'd let me go...but...it's that look that would bore right through me...I'd be playing catch up for the rest of my life.

Thanks, but NO THANKS!!

:idea:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

What do I do?

No matter how much I want to...I'd decline either invitation because I love my wife unconditionally and my obligations to my wife supersede anything and everything...then I'd find a quiet room away from my wife and scream out in frustration...into a pillow.

Besides, remember the look that only a wife can give? Yeah, that one! She'd KILL ME :dead: ...yeah...she'd let me go...but...it's that look that would bore right through me...I'd be playing catch up for the rest of my life.

Thanks, but NO THANKS!!

:idea:

Haha!! Awesome, a master indeed !!!

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"