• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seisan Kata

Nidan Melbourne

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too many kata? Our head guy in Okinawa, Takeshi Miyagi, is said to know 130 different kata.

It is one thing to know 130 kata, but another to understand them well

That is true. For someone that has been doing martial arts for as long as he has, I wouldn't doubt that he understands (or at least, understood) most of the kata.

Also note that he does not teach 130 different kata to his classes - Ones that he didn't like, understand, or thought were redundant he would have dropped. Note that he only teaches roughly 30 emtpy hand kata (and I really don't have any idea how many weapons kata he teaches all together. Seems like he's always teaching my instructors new ones every time there is a visit one way or the other. Some are 2 person weapon kata too).

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

I know 33 empty-hand kata, and THAT is too many! Only 19 of them are part of my current style's curriculum, and THAT is too many! Seriously, if I could just do Naihanchi, Passai, Kusanku, and Seiunchin, I would be a happy man.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Too many kata? Our head guy in Okinawa, Takeshi Miyagi, is said to know 130 different kata.

Spot on and very well put!

It's such a good point that I couldn't help but to tweak it as follows:

It is one thing to know 130 kata and another to understand one kata well

:karate:

To quote the great Bob Marley: "LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

Spot on and very well put!

It's such a good point that I couldn't help but to tweak it as follows:

It is one thing to know 130 kata and another to understand one kata well

:karate:

Like I said, I don't have a hard time believing that someone who has been doing martial arts for more then 60 years could know a very large number of kata very well. Especially when you think how many kata are very simple (see Chibana's 5 kihon kata, the fukyu kata, Taikyoku, etc), and how many are very similar to each other (Seisan/Hangetsu and varients come to mind).

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky